Carburetor Reattachment - Need Help

More
26 May 2010 13:52 #371126 by Hawk111
Carburetor Reattachment - Need Help was created by Hawk111
So, I probably should have put some heavy grease at where the carb valves meet the airbox, but I didn't.
Only WD40 and now I can get the airbox to close over the valves enough, I keep pushing, but nothing. Any tips?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2010 15:09 - 21 Feb 2013 01:49 #371143 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 01:49 by H1Vindicator.

More
26 May 2010 18:03 #371185 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Carburetor Reattachment - Need Help
Try this method:

Successfully Resurrecting Old Rubber Parts
(Found on the internet)

This subject has been broached before but I am happy to report success in revitalizing old rubber.

I have been using a mixture of 30% wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) and 70% xylene to restore old rubber parts and it works beautifully. This is the same ingredients and proportions for the commercial product Rubber Renue according to the MSDS sheets.

Wintergreen oil is analgesic and liniment for aching muscles and found in most drugstores, pharmacies, health food stores and co-ops.

I gently heated rock hard honda CB carb boots with a heat gun for 30 seconds and dropped them into mason jars with my solution for 12 hours at room temperature. They come soft, pliable and looking good. They have been out of solution for 48 hours now and are still soft and pliable. I soaked smaller rubber parts such as side panel grommets and there extremely soft and may need to soak for less time

Critics are going to argue 'why not buy new ones?' Well, I am restoring four CB's at the moment and if I can reuse perfectly good parts, why throw them and my money away?

As stated at the beginning, I only found this on the internet.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 May 2010 11:36 - 29 May 2010 19:11 #371653 by Hawk111
Replied by Hawk111 on topic Carburetor Reattachment - Need Help
You guys rock. I appreciate the help.
Last edit: 29 May 2010 19:11 by Hawk111.

More
29 May 2010 19:10 - 29 May 2010 19:13 #371981 by Hawk111
Replied by Hawk111 on topic Carburetor Reattachment - Need Help
What about softening "plastic" airbox ducts, does this only work for rubber. The air box boots are the toughest.

I also need help with this if you have time:

I just cleaned my carbs. They looked pretty clean inside.No visible residue. Brownish liquid came out. I am missing 3 choke flaps as you can see in my profile pic. A guy at a shop still said I should have about 80% choke. Considering much of the passage still gets blocked.

That said, I put the carbs back on and my bike still can't run on idle or half idle. Weird. I think it should work fine, maybe when I took the idle jets out maybe I didn't let the passages underneath soak enough? They look clean.

Why can't my bike run without the choke on?

Also, when on choke my bike is at about 4 revs, uh.
How do I change this. Idle screw doesn't seem to do much.
Yet, I havn't adjusted my throttle cables since disassembling. Any tips? As much info as possible would be
helpful.
Last edit: 29 May 2010 19:13 by Hawk111.