Keihen CV34 Issues and Question

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2010 20:52 #370945 by kz750saskatoon
Keihen CV34 Issues and Question was created by kz750saskatoon
I was cleaning my original CV34s and managed to strip an idle mixture screw. I thought I could drill into the screw and use an extractor to remove it. Instead I managed to break off the outside portion of the tower the screw sits in. Great. If looking at the engine side of the carburetors, it was the second from the left that was wrecked.

I managed to find another set of Keihin's at a farm nearby. My original understanding was all four carburetor bodies were identical and I could use any of them to replace the one I ruined. Upon a closer look of the new rack I am thinking I was incorrect. Can someone confirm that the carburetor body from the same position on the rack must be used to replace a carburetor body on a different rack?

Another question is that I am having a great deal of trouble getting the screws out that hold the rails to the carburetor bodies. Does anyone have any tips other than heat? I have seen suggestions of using ATF and acetone mixed equally. I live in an apartment and would like to minimize the amount of chemical mixing I have to do due to lack of space.

Finally, I have noticed stripped/seized idol mixture screws in the second rack of carburetors. Any tips on getting them out?

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2010 21:13 #370951 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Keihen CV34 Issues and Question
kz750saskatoon wrote:

...am having a great deal of trouble getting the screws out that hold the rails to the carburetor bodies. Does anyone have any tips other than heat? I have seen suggestions of using ATF and acetone mixed equally. I live in an apartment and would like to minimize the amount of chemical mixing I have to do due to lack of space....

...getting the screws out that hold the rails to the carburetor bodies.... --- impact driver

Not to say it shouldn't be considered, but I have never replaced a damaged carb with anything but another carb which matches the other carbs remaining in place.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
26 May 2010 07:32 #371004 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Keihen CV34 Issues and Question
hey saskatoon go to princess auto or canadian tire and buy what is call an impact driver use that on the screws just like patton say's now is the tower broken bad enough that fuel or air can leak past because if it isn't then i would epoxy things back and try running them.by the way i'm from leader.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2010 08:07 #371019 by kz750saskatoon
Replied by kz750saskatoon on topic Keihen CV34 Issues and Question
I managed to get the carburetors separated. Thanks for the tips guys.

The more I looked at the bodies the more I saw differences in them from one position to the other. I will just use the body from the same position.

I am left with the other question about how best to remove the idle mixture screws. This one is stripped and seized as well and I am a bit hesitant to try to remove it. Should I just leave it and try to synchronize the carburetors based on its setting?

Finally, I am trying to get the body cleaned up and there is a discoloration at the top of the carburetor where the diaphragm would cover (see attached picture). I have tried boiling it in lemon juice but that did not do much. I have been spraying it with carb cleaner and rubbing at it but again I don't think I am accomplishing much. I'm fairly new at fixing my bike so I am not sure if this is varnish or rust or something else.

The entire tower pretty much broke. I don't think it would hold a screw. I am pretty certain a new body is my only solution here.

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK
Attachments:

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2010 18:15 #371193 by kz750saskatoon
I have yet another question about the screws that hold on the choke plates. Does anyone know the dimensions of them? The repair manual mentions purchasing a special choke shaft repair kit. Can any screw of comparable dimensions be used and crimped to keep it from unscrewing?

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK

More
26 May 2010 18:32 #371201 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Keihen CV34 Issues and Question
if your pulling them out first grind down the thread end as they are peened over so they wont come out if you dont that then you will wreck the throttle shaft, i had a student do that this winter not pretty.if i remember correctly they are 3mm screws also for that discoloration try spray nine don't let it sit for more than about an hour and then rinse the part off really well in warm water it works amazingly well but it will leave a really bad crusty residue if not rinsed off enough and if you let it evorate it really gets gross but you would be suprised what it will clean.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2010 08:38 #371345 by kz750saskatoon
Is the discoloration something that would affect performance? I am not worried about it if it will not.

Again about the screws, how would you recommend reinstalling them? Some internet research suggests peening them over by using a sharp chisel. Is this how to do it?

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2010 08:45 #371633 by kz750saskatoon
In case this topic comes up in someone's searches, I managed to get the idle mixture screw out. I purchased some penetrating fluid sold by a GM dealership here in town that is made by ACDelco. It was highly recommended by a couple guys around here. For two days I was spraying some of the penetrating fluid onto the screw every 4-6 hours. Today we used an impact screwdriver and the screw came out perfectly.

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK

More
28 May 2010 13:14 #371671 by Bad Dad
Replied by Bad Dad on topic Keihen CV34 Issues and Question
kz750saskatoon wrote:

For two days I was spraying some of the penetrating fluid onto the screw every 4-6 hours. Today we used an impact screwdriver and the screw came out perfectly.

Happy Endng... :)

76 KZ900LTD
82 GPz750R1
01 VULCAN 800A-CHOPPED
76 IRONHEAD-CHOPPED
77 RD 400 Cafe

• kz750saskatoon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2010 16:47 #372427 by kz750saskatoon
I am unable to find any brass 3mm x 6mm screws to keep the choke plates in. The best I could find locally was some steel 3mm x 8mm screws that I filed down to the appropriate length. The problem is I am not having much luck peening them because they are too strong (obviously).

Is red or blue thread locker acceptable for this use? I know if I use the red I'll have to resort to heat to get it out later.

Any comments or suggestions on where to find the appropriate screws? I would like to avoid online as I only really need 8 and do not want to wait for them to ship to Canada.

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK