Unknown vent on Airbox......

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
25 May 2010 13:43 - 25 May 2010 14:09 #370824 by xLowEndx
Unknown vent on Airbox...... was created by xLowEndx
So as many of you may know here I've been dealing with my 750 and it's leaking. I have fuel leaking out of my first carb and into the air box. This won't stop until my tank is emptied.

Once it is in the box it drips out of the bottom of the air filter recepticle. (I'm missing the grommet it sits in) Now just behind the filter on the bottom of the box I have a little tube that seems that it should have a hose coming off of it. Where should this go???

The tube itself is either sealed or at least clogged. Does this make any sense at all???

Any ideas on my situation?????

1980 Kawasaki KZ750-H1 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 May 2010 14:09 by xLowEndx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
25 May 2010 14:14 - 25 May 2010 14:22 #370837 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic Unknown vent on Airbox......
Your petcock might be in the wrong position, the "PRIME" position in particular. If it is just turn it to "ON" and no fuel should flow out of the tank unless motorcycle is running. that is if you have a vaccum diaphram petcock.

When the fuel level in the float bowl reaches a certain limit the floats float up and push a needle up blocking a fuel passage so no more fuel enters the float bowl. If too much fuel does enter the bowl it will flow out of the overflow on the bottom of the carb.

Now you may have a chunk of something preventing your float needle from seating and stopping fuel from entering the float bowl....or your float tang isnt adjusted properly also keeping the needle from seating.

So If fuel is flowing from your tank, your overflow is clogged, and your float needle is not seating the fuel will find another way out...Into your #1 carb because it usually sits lower then all the rest when the bike is on kick stand.

Here is my input on possible causes.

-Petcock on prime when bike isnt running. Or damaged petcock vaccum diaphram causing fuel to flow when it shouldnt.
-Float needle isnt seating (stuck open with crud, or not adjusted properly)
-Overflow is clogged.

I would check those things.

You usually have 2 main vents on the bottom of an airbox, a vent that takes gasses from the crankcase and mixes them in with intake air, You will also have an airbox drain. Just a tube at the bottom of the airbox that runs down behind the swingarm to drain any liquids that get in there.

Good luck

-Luke

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project
Last edit: 25 May 2010 14:22 by 550A2.

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
25 May 2010 14:26 #370841 by xLowEndx
Replied by xLowEndx on topic Unknown vent on Airbox......
My petcock does have a prime position but haven't left it there at all. I never need to use prime, ever. I agree that the float is probably the problem but can anyone show me a picture of a petcock vaccum? I think that this may not be the original petcock which could also be giving me issues.

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
25 May 2010 14:27 #370842 by xLowEndx
Also, any ideas about my airbox vent hose????? or lack of one????

WHAT IS IT?????

More
25 May 2010 16:32 #370868 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Unknown vent on Airbox......
Is fuel also leaking from the carb overflow tube attached to the bottom of the carb? The float valve shouldn't let fuel overflow, but if it does the overflow tube should route the excess fuel through the overflow hose to the ground. I don't understand why fuel would leak from the back of the carb into the airbox unless the overflow tube is clogged. If it is clogged you probably should pull the bowl and take a look at the overflow tube, float valve, and the rest of the carb (jet, idle circuit, etc.) to see if it's gunked up. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
25 May 2010 16:37 #370870 by xLowEndx
650ed wrote:

Is fuel also leaking from the carb overflow tube attached to the bottom of the carb? The float valve shouldn't let fuel overflow, but if it does the overflow tube should route the excess fuel through the overflow hose to the ground. I don't understand why fuel would leak from the back of the carb into the airbox unless the overflow tube is clogged. If it is clogged you probably should pull the bowl and take a look at the overflow tube, float valve, and the rest of the carb (jet, idle circuit, etc.) to see if it's gunked up. Ed

Those tubes I think you're referring to go straight into the bottom of my air box, through a grommet even. I'm not aware of any sort of overflow tube but gas will flow out the tubes into the airbox and then out of the large "vent" from the carb to the air box. I lost nearly 2 gallons in about 5 hours. I not really exaggerating either.

(sorry bout the spelling....)

More
25 May 2010 18:26 - 20 Feb 2013 20:27 #370908 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 20:27 by H1Vindicator.

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
26 May 2010 08:04 #371014 by xLowEndx
I didn't see much from the diagrams but it does show a hose coming down from the air box....

I've heard someone mention something about a "vent" or hose to and from the crank case, any ideas on where this would go???

More
26 May 2010 09:23 #371041 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Unknown vent on Airbox......
The crankcase breather tubing should be routed from the crankcase breather cover to the airbox. There should be a hole where the tubing & grommet fit into the lower/front of the airbox.

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
26 May 2010 09:30 #371043 by xLowEndx
JMKZHI wrote:

The crankcase breather tubing should be routed from the crankcase breather cover to the airbox. There should be a hole where the tubing & grommet fit into the lower/front of the airbox.

And if I don't have this . . . . . :blush: