Spits through carbs and will not hold idle

More
23 May 2010 19:50 #370353 by 2006hhr
K, another issue with my '79 KZ650SR. Noticed lately that it was popping an spitting out of #1 carb after rejet. So i pulled the carbs, double checked jetting and settings, then checked for vacuum issues. Nothing noticable, everything seems fine, but still popping on #1. Now i should mention that this bike has VM26's and manifolds off a KZ1000, Mac 4:1 pipe and pods. So today, it is popping on 2 or 3 cylinders and definately will either idle way high or not at all. Current jetting is 125 mains and 22.5 pilots, with needle set 4 from the top notch. Bike ran great before with a Kerker pipe. I have noticed that the charging system seems to be going a bit weak, and have cleaned and checked all connections. I am thinking that maybe the alternator may be on the way out, or dead. Have no way to check voltage right now. ignition is Dyna S with 3 ohm coils. So where do i start, voltage regulator, charging system, this bike is becoming a money pit so hope i can get this figured before i give up and Craigslist it for parts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2010 20:02 - 23 May 2010 20:06 #370356 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spits through carbs and will not hold idle
Would start with valve clearances, ignition timing, and advancer function. Also air leaks.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 May 2010 20:06 by Patton.

More
23 May 2010 20:49 #370366 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Spits through carbs and will not hold idle
Do you still have the original carbs and air cleaner? If so, I would start by putting them back on to see if the symptoms clear up. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 May 2010 21:03 #370373 by 2006hhr
Replied by 2006hhr on topic Spits through carbs and will not hold idle
Charged the battery, it was almost flat, loose positive cable, doh. Bike starts and runs well with a full charge. My work is 4 miles away, and i am on good terms with the electricians. Will use their tester lite and see what kind of voltage the stator is producing. 650ed, i have had these carbs installed since last fall, thinking it is the charging system that is the problem, but i do thank you for the advice. i did sell the stock carbs to help pay for the 26's. i bought a stator tonite off eBay for the bike, if this is the issue it will be needed, if not it is always good to have spares. Thanks to all for the idea's, 2006hhr

More
24 May 2010 17:00 #370565 by 2006hhr
Replied by 2006hhr on topic Spits through carbs and will not hold idle
Definately electrical. Stator is putting no voltage to the battery, none, so will be looking for a replacement 2 phase stator as the one i have in the shed is a 3 phase early model.

More
24 May 2010 19:32 #370634 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spits through carbs and will not hold idle
2006hhr wrote:

Definately electrical. Stator is putting no voltage to the battery, none, so will be looking for a replacement 2 phase stator as the one i have in the shed is a 3 phase early model.

Spits through carbs and will not hold idle

Imo stator isn't causing spitting through carbs.
And isn't causing racing idle.

Such issues imo likely result from something besides the charging system.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD