What order for carb tweeking 1100 spectre?

• CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2010 16:44 - 22 May 2010 17:06 #369886 by CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB
What order for carb tweeking 1100 spectre? was created by CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB
I just cleaned the carbs and clear tube height adjusted floats on my stock 1100 D1 and it still misses going up and down the throttle with no load, pulls GREAT going down the road, no missing but takes too long getting back to idle and slight backfiring as it goes down.When it gets to idle it is not smooth. New plugs and wires. I need to sync and adjust idle jets but don't know what order to do that.I don't think I have vacuum leaks or ignition troubles and hope this takes care of it. Any help on this? Already set valve clearance and inspected air switch to exhaust valves, and intake boots look good.

1982 KZ750 N-1, Spectre-Stock
1982 KZ1100 D-1, Spectre-Stock
Last edit: 22 May 2010 17:06 by CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 May 2010 17:14 #369895 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic What order for carb tweeking 1100 spectre?
My book says to balance 1 to 2, then 3 to 4, then the 2 pairs to each other.
First spray around those cabs with either brake clean or WD40 to see if the manifolds are leaking, are you sure you got the low speed circuit really clean/ the pilot get, transition circuits? Also the lids on the slide valves and the diaphram installed correctly?
A compression test is always a good place to start before a carb sync.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 May 2010 18:03 #369912 by CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB
Replied by CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB on topic What order for carb tweeking 1100 spectre?
Everything with the carb rack very clean, slide diaphrams in good condition and seated correctly. Set the idle jets at 1 1/4 turns out. Will do compression test and spray, spray, spray. Thanks for your help.

• CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jun 2010 07:17 - 06 Jun 2010 11:07 #373867 by CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB
Replied by CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB on topic What order for carb tweeking 1100 spectre?
A follow up to last weeks post. Found intake manifolds leaking pretty good. Picked up new set from Chris at Z1- and it did improve somewhat. Did compression test and got 160, 140, 140,160 left to right. Checked spark from # 1 and #2 plugs- very strong and blue. I understand they fire in series so I didn't check 3 and 4. I don't have a timing light yet but checked and cleaned and lubed advance anyway- all good. Air gap at pick ups seemed alittle big, measured out at 24 thousands, with no way to adjust I ground down the brackets to get 19 thousands with no improvement. I next played with idle jets,one thing I read says 1-1/4 turns out, another says 3 so I started at 3 turns out, all ready tried 1-1/4, not really sure how to tell if I am getting improvement adjusting 1 jet at a time because of the engine running rough in general? Forgot to mention I did carb sync after installing intake manifolds. Can the ignitor send strong signal and still miss a beat on regular basis? Did thermo test on exhaust at down pipes and found all 4 within 20 degress, around 700 when tested. Scratching my head right now. Problem is engine misses at mid to high RPM (no load), idles pretty well with a few misses here and there. Sounds like it could be just 1 cylinder and not every compression stroke. What am I missing??? A thought I just had may help, my electric tach works only sometimes, not very often at all and not for long when it does, but engine miss fire stays the same, tach working or not.

Last edit: 06 Jun 2010 11:07 by CLIFTON SPRINGS KBB.