Z1 Classic Carb Conversion

More
20 May 2010 13:56 #369335 by Soulmighty
Z1 Classic Carb Conversion was created by Soulmighty
Hello All!
I am converting my EFI to carbs and I was wondering if anyone knows if pressure release valves on the intake manifolds are necessary for this conversion or if I can just use the manifolds that are there. Anyone know about this? I am installing a set of 77 KZ1000 LTD Carbs with an upgraded 117.5 main jet and 17.5 pilot jet. I am also wondering if I need a new wiring harness for the conversion. Can anyone help? I'd love it if someone could steer me in the right direction.
Thanks!
Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2010 15:06 #369346 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Z1 Classic Carb Conversion
i did same conversion on a fuel injected gpz years ago,cant remember what we did to the ignition system though since it all works together with the fuel injection :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 May 2010 16:16 - 20 May 2010 16:17 #369365 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Z1 Classic Carb Conversion
I did a Z1Classic conversion.

The wiring harness can be split and the wires that fire the engine are basically riding piggy back on the EFI harness.

In other words there are two harnesses taped together.

What carbs are you going to use?

I would suggest 34's.

Z1enterprises has good prices on the intake manifolds.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 May 2010 16:17 by roy-b-boy-b.

More
20 May 2010 17:20 #369390 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Z1 Classic Carb Conversion
i converted 1 a few years back i used stock 1000 carbed manifolds and put a set of 29 smoothies on it also i figured i might run in toproblems with the stock igntion so i just removed it all and put a dyna s and drl-200 single stage rev limiter in. and just saved myself a bunch of grief. i also did another one that i put a set of 28's from a z1-r on and did the same thing for the ignition system.i did the swap on both in less than two hours for each.so to me it's worth doing it that way than monkeying around with the stock set-up and trying to make it work.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
20 May 2010 19:44 #369423 by Soulmighty
Replied by Soulmighty on topic Z1 Classic Carb Conversion
The main and sub harness for the z1 classic are two separate harnesses completely. Wouldn't it be easier to simply get a regular harness for a kz1000 to go with the new carbs. Once all of the EFI components are removed it should be as easy as that right? The carbs I am using are 26mm with upgraded jets. (Main = 117.5 and pilot = 17.5). I will be placing all the efi parts on ebay for sale by this weekend. Everything is in great shape. I just dont want the hassle of the efi failing at some point.

More
20 May 2010 22:02 #369452 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Z1 Classic Carb Conversion
The wires for the ignition,regulator, and coils are just layed inside the tape of the existing harness.

You can do anything you want but it is simple to remove that part of the harness.

I personally seperated the harness and sold the EFI part.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
20 May 2010 22:19 #369456 by Soulmighty
Replied by Soulmighty on topic Z1 Classic Carb Conversion
Thanks Roy! I appreciate the info. The main and sub harness I have now are really in great shape. Even still have the labels with the part numbers on them. I'd be better off selling them on ebay and picking up a harness for a kz1000 with carbs. I have a good deal of EFI stuff that's going to be on the block soon on Ebay so keep your eye out if you're interested. The only thing I want to get tested first before I put it on Ebay is the CCU and the supplemental EFI manual shows you how to do that.

It looks like the kid who owned the bike way back when layed it down and busted one of the relays and never replaced it. The bike never ran again with only 14K miles on it. So to avoid possible problems with the efi in the future, I am converting to carbs and installing a set from a 77 KZ1000. Selling the parts from this efi system should fund the rest of the project.

This will be a totally custom Z! Classic when I'm done.