KZ750 idle issues after warming up!

More
20 May 2010 10:52 #369269 by lrburke
KZ750 idle issues after warming up! was created by lrburke
I have a 1981 KZ750 that has pods and a Vance and Hines 4 into 1 pipe. I think I pretty much got the jetting real close with 65 primary's and 135 secondary's! This thing starts right up when cold and seems to run fine and idle fine but after it gets hot the idle seems to fall off as if it's suddenly running rich. I have checked the fuel level with the clear tube and they all seem to be ok! No carb leaks and they are spotless inside! Could this be electrical related like a weak spark? Charging system is working great! I am almost certain it's not the carbs! I have had those goofy things off and on about fifty times it seems like! Thanks for any suggestions!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2010 16:22 #369372 by JR
Replied by JR on topic KZ750 idle issues after warming up!
After all all that work with the carbs did you balance/synchronise them ? Good synch might help.

Also. Have you checked the valves ? Clearances OK ?

Could be electrical - coils breaking down when hot.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
25 Jun 2010 12:31 #378182 by kusanagi
Replied by kusanagi on topic KZ750 idle issues after warming up!
More or less same problem here. Z750 with Mikuni BS34's
Starts instantly when cold. Runs for 5 minutes whereby I decrease the choke gently. When I close the choke almost completely it starts to run a bit rough and dies after 20 seconds or so. No way I can restart her again till the next day. Using original exhausts but with pods on carb. Original Mikuni 40 Pilotjets and 140 main.

More
26 Jun 2010 15:12 #378367 by kusanagi
Replied by kusanagi on topic KZ750 idle issues after warming up!
Did a test run today. Took her around for a spin. After return checked the sparkplugs. A greyish color and dry. Started also rightaway afterwards. 15 minutes later failed to start. Recharged the battery fully for 45 minutes and she starts again.

Probably will change the old and worn battery first before I troubleshoot any further.
(as the troubles are maybe more electronically then fuel)