What position to set the needle height

More
18 May 2010 11:55 #368771 by cruspeed
What position to set the needle height was created by cruspeed
I striped down the carbs to completely clean them and the PO has already put a jet kit in it. 125 is stamped on the main jet and it looks like a small 20 stamped on the pilot. After removing everything that I could, I took a needle out and noticed that the clip is on the bottom of the needle. I guess that they are all like this seeing I took apart another and it was the same.

The only information that I can find is about moving the clip up and down to change the mixture but should I start out with the clip at the very bottom? Bike has pods, 4 to 1, and 1075 kit. The PO had velocity stacks on the bike, so I guess there wasn't much vacuum so he needed it so low. Any information will help, thanks!

78 KZ1000 project X 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2010 12:27 - 18 May 2010 12:36 #368777 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What position to set the needle height
Oem position was middle clip. And that's where I would put it as best first guess.

The clip position adjusts fuel mixture ratio in mid-throttle range.

With carbs otherwise perfect, including fuel levels and assured adequate fuel supply (plus good properly timed spark and acceptable compression with valve clearances to spec), if mid-range is lean, may then drop one clip position on jet needle (toward pointed end) and test run for effect.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 May 2010 12:36 by Patton.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
18 May 2010 13:56 #368794 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic What position to set the needle height
The stock position with a jet kit on those carbs is the second slot from the top.

The mixture screws are for idle.
The pilots are for cruise and idle/cruise/accell transition.
The needles are all about accelleration.
The mains are for WOT only, and should provide a little more fuel to the ratio than the needle for the high demand on the engine.

If you have problems (hesitating or lag) twisting the throttle and accellerating quickly/smoothly from 1/4 all the way to almost full throttle, its the needle. Change the clip position and retest.

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)