Goose & OMR Mikuni 26mm Carb Sync....

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2010 17:24 - 16 May 2010 17:27 #368375 by Old Man Rock
Goose & OMR Mikuni 26mm Carb Sync.... was created by Old Man Rock
Base don our last ride, Goose had mentioned some slight back & forth stuttering at constant mid rpm range (4K-6K).

In our discussions and analysis, most likely culprit was the needle clip position based on elevation changes from Wisconsin to Arizona...

He arrived this morning and first thing to confirm before doing anything was ignition timing, voltages etc... We found his ignition time was way off ~ 1/4" to "F" @ idle!!! :blink: Whoa!!!!

OK, got out the manual, loosened the 3 plate screws and we couldn't only get ~ 1/8" from the "F" mark.... OK, re-set plate at 1/2 slot position.

Loosen point plate for 1/4 coil, rotated while timing light for "F" mark... Lock her down and repeat for 2/4 coil of "F" mark...

Re-check timing plate for coils, twist for 3500rpm for advance mark, all good... Goose was grinning for the rpm increased ~ 500 rpm's @ idle purred better... Re-set idle rpm 1000-1200rpm...

Onto to Sync... As can be reviewed in the image on the left, was slightly off, more then 2cm between each...
Twist the throttle and they all jumped up but at different rise and fall levels... Ahhhhh not good.......

Out with the manual, carb sync and re-measure as depicted on the right... All within 2cm... Better yet, twist the throttle and they rose and fell equally and in sync!... Whola!

Not to mention she was spurring @ idle like a kitten! ;)

NOTE: At this point, I think Goose got wood! :blink: :laugh:

On for a little 40 mile run... No hesitations or surging... Had a quite a few thumbs up for I know he was just GRINNING like a sonsabitch!... B) ...

Ramp up the throttle/rpm range, change gears, twist it, let go of the throttle, no back firing, hold the rpm range in 4th & 5th gears no surging.... Golden, a few more thumbs up from the Goose...

Yeah, he got wood no doubt! :blink:

Stopped at a HD weekend warrior hang out for a celebration Co-cola... Had a few true riders come up and mentioned how they loved the old gals... One even had gooses old '78 KZ1000... Hell, the guy barely even looked at mine for he was reminiscing... :laugh:

Another guy came up and was like "Holly shit, 70's muscle KZ's, awesome.... That mi amigo's as always feels good... ;)

Obviously, when we started the old gals and all eye's on us, we had to twist the throttle a little for that lovely Kerker sound... :laugh: :laugh: Not obnoxiously but enough to grab there attention.... Yeah baby!...B)

On the way back, Goose mentioned that he just barely felt it stutter here and there... Back at the garage we found gas was dripping at the hose to petcock... Simple hose clamp all better...

As discussed he's right on the cusp of lean/rich so still may have to change a clip position but all is good... He can confirm for he's riding home now and will monitor the old gals behavior....

All in all, a good day....
Good buds...
Wrench...
Dr. Pepper...
Ride...

Life is good... B)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2010 17:27 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2010 18:07 #368389 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Goose & OMR Mikuni 26mm Carb Sync....
ive been trying to buy his old kz900 from tganek for a long time,no luck yet! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2010 19:48 #368409 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Goose & OMR Mikuni 26mm Carb Sync....
In case anyone else needs for the 26mm Mikuni carbs....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2010 19:49 #368410 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Goose & OMR Mikuni 26mm Carb Sync....
continued...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
16 May 2010 20:16 #368421 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Goose & OMR Mikuni 26mm Carb Sync....
It's surprising that it doesnt take too much to make these old gals sing! :laugh:

Nice post ;)

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
16 May 2010 20:21 #368425 by kwakagoose
Replied by kwakagoose on topic Goose & OMR Mikuni 26mm Carb Sync....
That's How it went. Great Sunday bike day. Thanks OMR for the great repair day and ride. I love the smell of Gasoline in the afternoon.B)

Goose.