What The Heck?Doing fuel float level Test)

More
16 May 2010 11:17 #368287 by jonnygorman
What The Heck?Doing fuel float level Test) was created by jonnygorman
Doing the fuel level float adjustment on my cv's (off of the bike) the carbs are in a vice, totally level and I just filled them with fuel. The #4 carb started to leak fuel from the butterfly (or maybe from the port on the top left corner of the intake/butterfly side of the carb). It has stopped and when I crack the bowl drain screw it drains. No others have leaked. Is it possible to overfill them or do I have something not sealing where it should be? I am desperate as things are idle until I can figure this out.

Thanks
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2010 11:46 #368293 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What The Heck?Doing fuel float level Test)
When for whatever reason too much fuel flows into the float bowl, the fuel level should not rise higher than entrance to the overflow circuit, and should escape through the overflow circuit and discharge from the nipple on bottom of float bowl.

A blocked or clogged overflow circuit may prevent the excess fuel from escaping through the overflow circuit as it's supposed to, whereby the excess fuel may continue rising up inside the carb.

Where the float valve isn't capable of stopping fuel flow (such as being dirty or worn), or the float itself is malfunctioning (such as leaking, or sticking, or improperly installed), it isn't possible to check for the correct level inside the bowl, because the fuel keeps on rising past the correct level regardless of the tang setting.

In other words, the float valve and float must be functional in order to discern effect of the tang adjustment.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 May 2010 11:47 #368294 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic What The Heck?Doing fuel float level Test)
Sounds like you found what you've been looking for - incorrect fuel level. My guess is you have a needle valve that is not closing. Two of the more likely causes are crud in the needle / seat valve assembly or a wildly misadjusted float. Pull the bowl, carefully remove the float and needle valve. Carefully clean out the seat and inspect the needle. If the needle is visibly worn, replace it and its seat. If not worn, then cleaning should do the trick. After cleaning the old or installing the new, carefully check what the float is doing. Does it hit anything? Does the shop manual give a carb body to float height spec? If so, check it. Does the float have gasoline in it? If all seems well,reassemble and retest for proper fuel level.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
16 May 2010 11:49 #368295 by TexasKZ
+1 what Patton said.

More
16 May 2010 11:54 #368298 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What The Heck?Doing fuel float level Test)
And +1 what TexasKZ said. :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 May 2010 11:57 #368300 by TexasKZ
+1 what Patton said about what I said :P