Sealing pilot screw bores...necessary?

More
08 May 2010 23:39 #366660 by polkat
Keihin CV34's. If the little O ring at the bottom of the pilot screw bores is in good shape, is it really necessary to seal the top of the bores with that little disk thing and sealant? Seems to me that it would only leak if the little O rings were shot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2010 05:54 - 09 May 2010 05:55 #366679 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Sealing pilot screw bores...necessary?
polkat wrote:

Keihin CV34's. If the little O ring at the bottom of the pilot screw bores is in good shape, is it really necessary to seal the top of the bores with that little disk thing and sealant? Seems to me that it would only leak if the little O rings were shot.

The littl disc is not there to help seal. It is there so YOU cannot adjust mixture and screw up up the enviroment!:woohoo: They don't want the bike running as good as it can. they want it polluting less. Everybody just pops them off and re-adjusts as needed.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 09 May 2010 05:55 by Bluemeanie.

More
09 May 2010 13:55 #366856 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Sealing pilot screw bores...necessary?
As P says, the plug is for "tamper proofing", & not for an additional seal. However, something I usually do & often wish others had, is smear a bit of wheel bearing grease into the bore of air/mixture screw. This prevents crap getting in threads/oxidation & doesn't require future plug removal. luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1