Syncing carburetors with accelerator pump

More
04 May 2010 18:39 #365563 by barquirt
Hi all ... I have a 1979 KZ650 SR model with 10,000 original miles on her (red). Fantastic shape. Pulled the carburetors, had them professionally cleaned and rebuilt. They are the stock slide-type carbs.

I am going to "bench sync" them before hooking them back up and using the dial gauges for a final setting. My question is this - the #2 carburetor has an accelerator pump. Is there any special trick or extra step to a bench sync for these carburetors compared to a standard rack without an accelerator pump?

Any tips/suggestions are much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2010 05:46 - 05 May 2010 05:47 #365667 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Syncing carburetors with accelerator pump
Nope. Just bench sync them like a "standard" set of carbs. Pump does not effect anything as far as syncing goes. B)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 05 May 2010 05:47 by Bluemeanie.

More
05 May 2010 06:12 #365675 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Syncing carburetors with accelerator pump
To make the bench sync easier remove the throttle pulley spring. Doing so will also decrease the possibility of mangling the notches (if your slides have them).

KZ650-F model carbs on a B1: problems - Drill Bit Method
Reply #361884 at the bottom of that topic has an alternative way to bench sync the carburetors.

While the carbs are off the bike, it would be a handy time to check the functionality of the accelerator pump... Set up a temporary fuel supply w the carbs supported. Prime the accel pump circuit. Actuate the throttle pulley vigorously. Fuel should squirt out the pump nozzles straight back without hitting the carb bore walls. I use a homemade carb stand w funnel & tubing.

It would also be handy to check the compression while the carbs are off the bike, since you won't have to fiddle w the throttle.