could my carbs use a rebuild?

More
03 May 2010 10:03 #365212 by bobbisman
could my carbs use a rebuild? was created by bobbisman
ive finally gotten my bike to get spark (78 kz650b) but it has a real hard time starting. it sounds like it wants to start but wont quite. i have to litterally hold the start button down for about 10 seconds. once its run for about a minute, if i shut it off and turn it over again it fires right up. i would really like to be riding this summer. please help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2010 11:07 #365217 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic could my carbs use a rebuild?
Sounds like the choke is not working.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 May 2010 13:15 #365229 by bobbisman
Replied by bobbisman on topic could my carbs use a rebuild?
the choke does seem to have something to do to it. when i push choke lever down ( i think this is off?) it doesnt sound like it will start at all. but if i put it in the oposite position it half a little life, just barely though. just the sound coming from the exhaust sounds different like there is a little combustion or something. guess i need to know which position is on and off on the choke first

More
03 May 2010 13:34 #365230 by Bad Dad
Replied by Bad Dad on topic could my carbs use a rebuild?
I'm pretty sure down is "off" on your bike, and it's easier on the bike, if you use the choke whenever the bike is cold.
If you could afford the rebuild kits, and think you can do it, I'd rebuild them. You can just try to clean them up really good, and reuse everything - just try to go easy on the old gaskets when tearing them down.

76 KZ900LTD
82 GPz750R1
01 VULCAN 800A-CHOPPED
76 IRONHEAD-CHOPPED
77 RD 400 Cafe

More
03 May 2010 16:00 #365263 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic could my carbs use a rebuild?
I've owned a lot of KZ650s and most are a bear to start if they have sat more than one day. The problem is aggravated further by fooling with the stock airbox, using pods ect. Further aggravation because electrics are barely up to the task to fire the plugs when the starter is turning. Low compression also takes its toll. My guess is rebuilding your carbs will not do much good. You probably have the usual combination of problems coupled with an engine that was never known to fire up with the first instant of push of the button. If you have a vaccum petcock sometimes it helps to turn the lever to prime when starting after sitting.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
03 May 2010 17:06 #365285 by bobbisman
Replied by bobbisman on topic could my carbs use a rebuild?
now i can start the bike 5 hours later and it still fires up. just sitting overnite its a pain on initial start up