Not really sure....

More
29 Apr 2010 18:40 - 29 Apr 2010 18:41 #364318 by Fozzie
Not really sure.... was created by Fozzie
Arite guys, so today, I feel like I have more problems than I thought. So this weekend I'm going to tear into the carbs replace the jets (that were drilled out),clean those bad boy bs34's, and try and find the old airbox. Anyone have any advice before I venture into the unknown?

Oh, and today after trying unsuccessfully to start my bike, the second carb was leaking fuel from the foam of the pod and if I do recall the last time I rode it, the carbs were popping. Again, any advice? Thanks

1982 KZ1000J
Last edit: 29 Apr 2010 18:41 by Fozzie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2010 04:58 #364378 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Not really sure....
Fozzie wrote:

Arite guys, so today, I feel like I have more problems than I thought. So this weekend I'm going to tear into the carbs replace the jets (that were drilled out),clean those bad boy bs34's, and try and find the old airbox. Anyone have any advice before I venture into the unknown?

Oh, and today after trying unsuccessfully to start my bike, the second carb was leaking fuel from the foam of the pod and if I do recall the last time I rode it, the carbs were popping. Again, any advice? Thanks

second carb was leaking fuel from the foam of the pod - - -

Would sniff-test and examine condition of crankcase oil to determine whether there's fuel contamination.

If in doubt, would change the oil and filter.

Where fuel has for whatever reason* risen into carbs high enough to flow out the pods, it might have also flowed the other direction toward engine and into the combustion chamber, and flush down past the pistons into the crankcase.

A properly functioning carb overflow circuit is supposed to prevent this condition of fuel rising up into the carb throat, but the overflow circuit might be clogged, or the carb might not have an overflow circuit (such as Mikuni smoothbores).

* often a float valve or float issue combined with non-functional overflow circuit.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 May 2010 16:09 #365266 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Not really sure....
So Sunday I took the bowls off and looked inside, lots of gunk and stuff. The needle valves on two of the carbs were seized. I soaked them in some pblaster and freed them up. Cleaned her up good with some carb cleaner and slapped it back together.She runs great now.

1982 KZ1000J

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
03 May 2010 17:14 #365289 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Not really sure....
Just remember to turn your fuel off, "just in case".

Run a can of seafoam thru with a fresh tank of gas.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)