Carb Problem? Not sure....

More
28 Apr 2010 18:16 #363975 by Fozzie
Carb Problem? Not sure.... was created by Fozzie
So I've got an 82 KZ1000J Vance & HInes 4into1 exhaust and pod filters. While I was overseas my dad was experimenting and drilled out the jets. Not sure what size they were. So now the thing is hard as heck to start and once I do get it started I have problems keeping it running. I pull the plugs and theyre black and wet. Before hand I'm not really sure how well it ran b/c I was still in the process of restoring it but I'm thinking it may just be the jets. Or it could be the pods( I read something about the lip of the carb if anyone could elaborate for me). In any case the carbs are mikuni and was wondering if anyone knew what the stock jets were or if I should be looking elsewhere. Thanks.

1982 KZ1000J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2010 18:32 #364000 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Carb Problem? Not sure....
According to Kawasaki.com. 127.5 is stock, although pods and after market exnaust thye should be larger
Most jets are stamped with sizes either on top near slot or on the side. May need a magnifier to see clearly Good luck
B)

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
28 Apr 2010 18:44 #364008 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Carb Problem? Not sure....
So what size jets do you reccommend I go for? I asked my dad what size he drilled the jets out (it sounds so bad) and he wasn't sure, said he just picked a bit. So I'm assuming he picked the smallest bit in his box. So is it possible that I'm getting too much b/c of the size of the jets? And also, will the iridium ngk plugs work better with this problem? I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm very lost lol.

1982 KZ1000J

More
28 Apr 2010 19:11 #364018 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Carb Problem? Not sure....
Maybe will help... maybe not...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Apr 2010 05:00 #364055 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Carb Problem? Not sure....
Get those Drilled jets replaced with some new ones, and check that the carb's are really clean, all passages, with proper float height, might as well buy rebuild kits as they will come with new jets. Then go from there, depending on altitude and temps a 2 size increase in the mains and in creasing the mid range needle circuit will get it closer. Most people find the bike runs better on the street with a stock air box due to the vacuum slide valves, but there are threads here with info for tuning with the pod's.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...