carb tunning issues on 550

More
25 Apr 2010 11:49 #363103 by JUSS10
carb tunning issues on 550 was created by JUSS10
ok so i've had an 82 GPZ for a few years now and havent touched it for a while cause it had engine problems. well i dug it out the other day and cleaned the carbs a little and bolted it all on. to my surprise it runs of choke for the first time ever and i took it for the first ride ever since i owned it. anyway, on to my issue. was driving it up and down the road today and it would get stuck at around 4000 RPMs though if i droped it in gear it would back down again till i revved it and stuck at 4K. i always though this was a syncing issue so i tried to sync them and got them to sync nicely at the 4K range (due it getting stuck there if i revved it) still after all of that, no fix. any ideas on what this might be? would really like to get this running soon. thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
25 Apr 2010 13:08 #363129 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic carb tunning issues on 550
you have the tell-tale sign of an air leak somewhere in the intake system.

From the air filter to the exhaust end, EVERYTHING must be completely air tight.

Perhaps you've left a vacuum cap off...

Check by spraying wd40 - or brake cleaner around the rubber carb holders while running, and listen for a change in rpm. it should be reletively dramatic difference when the eninge sucks in something instead of gas and air.

Tighten everything up good.

Check the fuel heiht in the carb bowls too, via the clear tube method.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.