intake rubber boots

More
23 Apr 2010 21:27 #362759 by luvmyturbo
intake rubber boots was created by luvmyturbo
Have a question anyone that can help me. I have an 82 kz550 ltd with about 9000 orig. miles. Now the bike has been stored in a garage for the last 20 years. I just rebuilt the carbs and was thinking about replacing the rubber boots and clamps just to complete the project. Now the best I can see the boots seem in good shape. Still flexible etc. I took them out and inspected them for cracks or dry rot. I don't see anything but they are almost 30 years old. Should I replace them for age reasons cause there not cheap..30.00 each. Or is there anything I'm not thinking about that I should consider? What's your thought on this.
Thanks, David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2010 22:00 #362762 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic intake rubber boots
Keep them, they're in better shape than most (mine are hard and work ok). And Z1 Enterprises sells a set of intake boots for less than $40, but they're out of stock right now.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
23 Apr 2010 22:02 #362763 by Zmoto
Replied by Zmoto on topic intake rubber boots
if they are still flexible, the only thing I would worry about now is it leaking at the engine side f the mount.

try checking for vacuum leaks when its running by spraying around the boots with a hand spray bottle of water. see if there is any idle change when you do. if it doesn't have a leak, i wouldn't worry about it for now. but certainly consider it for future since you are going to be riding it more and listen to the bike for any runability issues you may encounter.