replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters

More
13 Apr 2010 15:06 #360430 by bluferno
The bike is a 1980 KZ 750 H-1 LTD.I'm replacing the air box with 4 individual K&N filters. My question is do I have to rig up something inplace of all the tubing from the cam cover connected to the valve air switch to the carb and then to the air box.Must I keep this whole assembly "rt under the tank" and turn the original tube that once connected to the air box into 4 individual lines, one to each K&N filter in order to not screw up the vacuum/breathing of the engine,crank,and carbs? It doesn't seem it should be as simple as tossing the air box out the window and just let the breather assembly hang dangle.thanx for any insight,Bryan:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2010 15:16 - 13 Apr 2010 15:16 #360434 by fochtup1
Replied by fochtup1 on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
forget the individual k&n and get one that fits in the air box. PO had the individual filters on my 1100 and i got an air box off ebay and she runs so much better.
my 2 cents
Last edit: 13 Apr 2010 15:16 by fochtup1.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
13 Apr 2010 18:19 - 13 Apr 2010 18:19 #360466 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
With a breather valve cover, you can just get rid of all that mess of hoses from the airbox to head, and run a length of hose from one valve cover opening to the other. Or you can buy individual caps that fit over the old ports.
Then just slap the pod filters on and start rejetting.

Use a Dyna jetkit!

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2010 18:19 by TeK9iNe.

More
14 Apr 2010 10:51 #360629 by bluferno
Replied by bluferno on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
I've already rejetted stage 3 Dyna but another question is are my carbs which are off a 83 Spectra,vacuum activated? If I just cap off the cover breathers isn't that bad? Shouldn't I still vent those?

More
14 Apr 2010 13:54 #360650 by bluferno
Replied by bluferno on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
Wht about the vacuum tubes that come off the air valve and connect to the carbs,any ideas?

More
14 Apr 2010 14:06 #360652 by pusher
Replied by pusher on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
TeK9iNe wrote:

Then just slap the pod filters on and start rejetting.

Is rejetting a must if you use pod filters? I just posted a new thread but ran across this and thought I would ask. I have pod filters on my bike, and am having power issues in the mid range. Do I need to rejet to get better performance?

More
14 Apr 2010 16:05 - 20 Feb 2013 20:07 #360664 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----

Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 20:07 by H1Vindicator.

More
14 Apr 2010 16:57 - 14 Apr 2010 16:59 #360672 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
bluferno wrote:

I've already rejetted stage 3 Dyna but another question is are my carbs which are off a 83 Spectra,vacuum activated? If I just cap off the cover breathers isn't that bad? Shouldn't I still vent those?

No. Those are not crankcase vents. They are air injection ports that go into the exhaust system at the head. They only allow for more burning in the exhaust pipe to get rid of un-burnt gases by allowing fresh air to get sucked into the exhaust.
I think it runs better without it, and when it's malfunctioning, it will cause backfiring.

Just cap the ports or go port-to-port with a hose, as was suggested.

bluferno wrote:

Wht about the vacuum tubes that come off the air valve and connect to the carbs,any ideas?

They are absolute manifold pressure tubes, AKA full-vacuum tubes. Don't leave them open at the carbs. Cap them off. The contraption above the engine can be removed then.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2010 16:59 by loudhvx.

More
14 Apr 2010 17:30 #360685 by 650ed
H1Vindicator wrote:

What the heck... A great article on the addition of "pods" - In Search of Free Lunch

Nice try and great article, but it's like trying to stop someone from jumping off a bridge. Once they're convinced it will improve their situation there's no stopping them. I'm simply amazed at the successful marketing power of the pod industry in light of the fact that their product has been proven to be nearly always detrimental to performance. I guess each buyer expects to be one of the 1% that doesn't lose performance. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Apr 2010 17:32 #360687 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
Kinda like the coil mod huh Ed? :blink: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
14 Apr 2010 18:39 - 14 Apr 2010 18:49 #360709 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
I guess I'm in the 1% then. Pods, once jetted properly, definitely made highway runs a bigger rush. I believe it's because manual slide carbs have to be smaller in order to work properly at lower RPMs. The pods really made them breath better.

However, I do also notice the expected less pulling power from a dead stop. It's also less friendly when riding a passenger.

Whether the tradeoff ends up in a faster 1/4 mile or not is unknown. But that's not why I use them. They make the bike "feel" more alive. I ride it for fun, not racing, so does it matter whether it goes faster in a 1/4? No. It's just more fun to ride, and probably gives a higher top speed.

That said, I also keep the airbox on my other two bikes because they can take passengers.

Just because they don't make every bike faster, does not mean they make all bikes slower.

That's where it differs from the relay mod. The relay mod works, but is not any better than fixing the real problems to begin with.

Oh, but I should add, I stay away from K&N and UNI pods. I only use the disposable Emgos because they are far less of a headache, not to mention they don't gouge the hell out of your wallet.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2010 18:49 by loudhvx.

More
24 Apr 2010 16:14 #362891 by jarhead74
Replied by jarhead74 on topic replacing air box w/ individual K&N filters
just got me a new emgo today from the dirt bike shop up the street,$7.11vs$49/each.im no mathemagician but i know where my money went!

1978 kz650b