Do i need an airbox?

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2010 21:02 - 10 Apr 2010 21:05 #359845 by Kitten Tooth
Do i need an airbox? was created by Kitten Tooth
Well, I JUST rebuilt the carburetors on my 1981 KZ1000. They are clean enough to eat off of. New jets, needle, and seat. they were soaked in carb cleaner and had some cleaner in a spray can blasted through all the ports and vacuums. I installed them on my bike today. put a dead battery in there and hooked up some jumper cables from my car. The bike came with no air box, but pods. when i installed the carbs alittle bit ago and tried to start it, I didn't bother putting the pods on because i figured it would run fine. My XS1100 did with the intake side wide open. My KZ1000 wouldn't run unless you put your hand over the intake side of the carbs. It would run and revv up really slow and choppy but it would revv. The bike has been sitting for 2 weeks or more without starting it. I'm wondering if you need an airbox hooked u for it to run right. As soon as you remove your hand from the intake side of the carb, the bike would bogg out and die. Do i need an airbox for the bike to run?

Thanks guys,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!
Last edit: 10 Apr 2010 21:05 by Kitten Tooth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2010 23:37 #359867 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Do i need an airbox?
Did you jet it for pods or for stock airbox? You wouldn't necessarily need an airbox, but your carbs have to be jetted correctly for the intake. If you have nothing before the throat on the carb you're going to need to substantially increase the jetting. Pods will restrict the intake side a bit more than nothing. A lot of guys will tell you pods aren't worth the hassle, but it really depends on what you want performance wise. Pods will give you a little more top end, but will sacrifice some of the bottom end and mids. The carbs will need to be jetted for pods, and tuning can become a bit of a chore, but they will work for you after you figure out the carbs. My advice is to do what makes you happy with the bike and don't let other's opinions sway yours!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
11 Apr 2010 00:05 #359870 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Do i need an airbox?
An airbox will make it easier to tune (jet) and run better across the full RPM range.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2010 00:36 #359874 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic Do i need an airbox?
What size jet do i need for the pods? The part number for the kits that i used was 18-2436. I used the new jet from that kit.

Thanks.

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

More
11 Apr 2010 06:04 #359882 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Do i need an airbox?
There are probably 1,000 posts on this site regarding the POD/AIRBOX issues. You may want to do a search and read through some of them. They are very informative. I'm an airbox guy and many folks who tried pods came back to the airbox, but some folks like pods (mostly guys with short or crooked legs):laugh: :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Apr 2010 07:03 #359905 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Do i need an airbox?
650ed wrote:

There are probably 1,000 posts on this site regarding the POD/AIRBOX issues. You may want to do a search and read through some of them. They are very informative. I'm an airbox guy and many folks who tried pods came back to the airbox, but some folks like pods (mostly guys with short or crooked legs):laugh: :laugh: Ed

That is so true!!! Short legs do make pods work! For once my stumpy ass legs were better for something than you folks with standard issue inseams!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE