Air Hole In Vacuum Slide:Size Matters?

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Apr 2010 16:07 - 09 Apr 2010 16:08 #359556 by bountyhunter
Air Hole In Vacuum Slide:Size Matters? was created by bountyhunter
When the rubbers on my vacuum pistons rotted away on the BS-38 carbs on my 1979 KZ750 B4, I bought some from another twin but learned they are slightly different. For one thing, the small air holes in the pistonse (near where the needles come out) are different size. On stock, the holes are maybe 3/16" and the new ones are maybe 1/16".

Why does Kawi tweak the size of the hole in the pistons?

What effect would that have?

As far as I know, it just lets air in from the venturi so that one side of the rubber diaphragm has the lower pressure air which means the piston will rise.

Does the size of the hole affect the damping of the vacuum piston?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 09 Apr 2010 16:08 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
09 Apr 2010 16:28 #359560 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Air Hole In Vacuum Slide:Size Matters?
That hole controls the rate of slide rise per velocity of air at the intake.

Its really important, and part of a jet kit/pods modification for carbs with throttle plates/CV models.

I wish i could offer more info/correction info...

They should work ok though...

Try n' see.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Apr 2010 17:00 #359575 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Air Hole In Vacuum Slide:Size Matters?
I am running the new slides with the smaller hole. They do work sorta OK, but not exactly right. Maybe I'll try enlarging the holes to match the originals.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2010 17:21 - 10 Apr 2010 17:22 #359754 by bountyhunter
For the record: the holes in the stock slides are about .150", the new slide's holes were about half that. I worked the holes out on the new ones to about .130", reset the needle clips to the stock slot and it seems to be running wayyy better.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Apr 2010 17:22 by bountyhunter.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Apr 2010 19:01 #359817 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Air Hole In Vacuum Slide:Size Matters?
Sounds like the slides were rising much to slowly causing lean hesitation and lack of power. Is this what you had? As the carb tuner kits always drill these out larger than stock for mods that have increased airflow or lessened the signal in the venturi, which lets the slide lift faster.
Glade to here that its running better, I've seen replacement diaphragms for most BS series carbs, but may be that they cost more than a used set of carbs.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
10 Apr 2010 19:32 #359829 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Air Hole In Vacuum Slide:Size Matters?
bountyhunter wrote:

For the record: the holes in the stock slides are about .150", the new slide's holes were about half that. I worked the holes out on the new ones to about .130", reset the needle clips to the stock slot and it seems to be running wayyy better.

;)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
10 Apr 2010 21:19 #359849 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Air Hole In Vacuum Slide:Size Matters?
bountyhunter wrote:

Does the size of the hole affect the damping of the vacuum piston?

Yes. That's about it from what I could tell. It affects how fast the piston opens or closes as you move the throttle. It will also affect how much it will flutter when the throttle is held at an intermediate opening.

By the time you are near half throttle (opened slowly), I think the slide is usually all the way up. Beyond that it's all butterfly valve.

This is based on experiments on a 400, but the 750 seems similar.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2010 23:56 - 11 Apr 2010 00:03 #359869 by bountyhunter
Motor Head wrote:

Sounds like the slides were rising much to slowly causing lean hesitation and lack of power. Is this what you had?

Yes, and they just would not tune out. If I got the needle clip in the right place for good throttle hit off idle, they didn't run right at full throttle at gearshifts. The needles just didn't track because the slide position wasn't tracking across throttle position.

Motor Head wrote:

I've seen replacement diaphragms for most BS series carbs, but may be that they cost more than a used set of carbs.

I haven't seen the diaphragms for the BS-38's, saw some for the smaller carbs on the KZ-440. I saw a place in England that says they will install diaphragms for about $120/set plus shipping. Not a bad deal, but I was reluctant to ship that far for fear of losing the slides.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 Apr 2010 00:03 by bountyhunter.

More
11 Apr 2010 10:13 - 11 Apr 2010 10:22 #359947 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Air Hole In Vacuum Slide:Size Matters?
I thought the whole point of the CV's was to make the mixture richer by opening slowly. If it opened up too fast (as in a mechanical slide) it gets too lean.

Too slow going up makes it rich from what I've seen on the EGA, but different carbs could be different.

Remember if the slide opens too slowly, yes,it restricts the fuel in the needle jet, but it's also restricting the air too, acting like a choke.

On a 400, we had the slide stick in a lower position and that cylinder ran super rich, then gas fouled the plug. We re-aligned the slide cover and watched it move properly, then the mixture went back to normal.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2010 10:22 by loudhvx.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2010 19:54 #360018 by bountyhunter
loudhvx wrote:

I thought the whole point of the CV's was to make the mixture richer by opening slowly. If it opened up too fast (as in a mechanical slide) it gets too lean.

Too slow going up makes it rich from what I've seen on the EGA, but different carbs could be different.

That sounds right, the new slides with smaller air holes did run a little richer for the same needle position. When I enlarged the holes, I put them back where they had been running sort of OK (which was 1.5 needle slots to the lean side) and it ran way too lean. It had run way too rich at the standard (center slot) setting with the smaller holes. So, I then moved the clip back to the standard middle slot and it runs right again with the larger holes.

1979 KZ-750 Twin