Float Height / Bowls Off

More
08 Apr 2010 06:23 #359195 by DawnKZ750
Float Height / Bowls Off was created by DawnKZ750
Hi, Does anyone know if you can measure/set float height with the carbs/bowls off? I checked my manual and didn't see anything. I know about the clear hose method with the bowls and carbs on the bike, but I have them off now and was wondering . . .

1983 KZ750

1982 KZ750-E
MASSACHUSETTS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2010 06:30 #359196 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Float Height / Bowls Off
I'm afraid they don't specify a bowls-off height measurement. The best you can do is make sure they are all relatively similar and the little spring loaded pin on the end of the needle valves are all working. The best bet is to not mess with them until you check with the clear tube.

You don't have to put the carbs on the bike to check. Just make a stand or some coathanger device to hang them level and check them that way. You probably want to get some sort of auxiliary fuel tank for making this type of adjustment. (You'll want one for doing other types of carb work too.)

More
08 Apr 2010 06:51 #359197 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Float Height / Bowls Off
DawnKZ750 wrote:

Hi, Does anyone know if you can measure/set float height with the carbs/bowls off? I checked my manual and didn't see anything. I know about the clear hose method with the bowls and carbs on the bike, but I have them off now and was wondering . . .

1983 KZ750

I tried doing my floats same as you. Never actually found any specs. Heard a lot of measurement info and had them where they worked kind of ok. I finally bit the bullet and bought the tool off ebay for $11.00 and mounted my carbs in a vice and leveled them. Put my gas tank on top of a plastic milk crate with a long hose. Upon checking floats (really easy) I found all of them to be almost 1/4" too high. Only have to snug up 1 or 2 bowl screws and it moves along pretty fast, did it in about an hour. Bike runs noticably better! You just can't do it "dry". After doing it the proper way they will stay pretty much forever. If this tool applys to your bike, get it! ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
08 Apr 2010 07:08 #359199 by DawnKZ750
Replied by DawnKZ750 on topic Float Height / Bowls Off
okay, thank you !!

- Dawn :kiss:

1982 KZ750-E
MASSACHUSETTS

More
08 Apr 2010 08:45 #359209 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Float Height / Bowls Off
Yeah, go ahead & do them wet.
The inverted/dry method doesn't always yield the desired result. I'm one of those unfortunate fellows for whom it didn't work. After meticulously setting them dry, I checked the fuel level w the clear tubing afterwards: all 4 were different & maybe 1 was within spec.

If you find that the floats need adjustment & the carb bowls have to be removed a number of times, it speeds up the process if you only use 1 or 2 bowl screws. It's also handy to have a carb stand (or something) w a temp fuel supply. I have a homemade jobbie to hold the carbs & used a funnel & tubing for the fuel supply.