Rejuvenating float bowl seals?

More
06 Apr 2010 20:52 - 06 Apr 2010 20:56 #358889 by polkat
Rejuvenating float bowl seals? was created by polkat
In the Kiehin CV34's on my KZ750-4 the 'house' shaped O rings that seal the float bowls look pretty flat, and while they were not really leaking, they were wet with gas outside the O ring primeter. They are not hard, just flattened a little bit. I called the nearest shop and found them listed at $12 apiece! With tax that's over $50 for 4 little rubber rings! Can't afford that.

I have read on a few websites that they can be boiled in water to bring them back to roughly the original (non-compressed) shape.

Has anyone tried this, and what results did you get?
Thanks!
Last edit: 06 Apr 2010 20:56 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
06 Apr 2010 21:15 - 06 Apr 2010 21:17 #358892 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Rejuvenating float bowl seals?
Generally, you would replace them, but yes this can be expensive.

I have boiled them a long time ago, and they did expand slightly, but afterwards even with a coating of silicon, they just shrink back to the way they were.

So here's what you do... Take the bowl and with some gasoline resistant gasket maker, fill in the grove that the rubber gasket sits into. Use your fingers and smear it nice and flat, all the way around.
After about 30 min, the gasket maker will still be kinda spongy. Push your old gasket into position, into the gasket maker groove, just slightly so it stays.
Then assemble your carbs, just light pressure. After another 30min, tighten fully.
Done!

Theres not too much to worry about with these gaskets, as an air tight seal is not necessary. Just one that doesnt allow the gas to seep when the bowls are tilted from side-side. Carb bowls are vented to outside air pressure anyways.

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 06 Apr 2010 21:17 by TeK9iNe.

More
06 Apr 2010 21:37 #358896 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Rejuvenating float bowl seals?
Well, I've never found a silicon or other gasket maker that truely resists gasoline, but it sounds worth a try! I do have some Permatex Moto Tech 1 (I think it's called) that's supposed to be resistant to gas. Think that would work?

More
06 Apr 2010 22:30 #358903 by KAHruzer
Replied by KAHruzer on topic Rejuvenating float bowl seals?
Z1 has these for $14.43 for set of four.
With USPS Priority Shipping at around $6, total comes to just over $20. I just ordered some last weekend.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2083

KZ750-H4 LTD 1983 Project
KZ400-B2 1979

More
07 Apr 2010 06:36 - 07 Apr 2010 06:37 #358945 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Rejuvenating float bowl seals?
just a couple of suggestions... :blush:

The $20 solution looks good. In the mean time...
Do you have any silicone spray lube? Maybe try soaking them overnite in a zip-lock bag. That works for paper gaskets... but 0-rings? maybe not.

Could you make new ones from thick gasket material from the auto parts store?
Cutting them out might be chore - if it can be done.

I'm not real confident that either is a good solution, but what the heck.... :blush:
Last edit: 07 Apr 2010 06:37 by JMKZHI.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
07 Apr 2010 08:18 #358961 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Rejuvenating float bowl seals?
I suggest ordering the seals from Z1.

Don't do like I did and use ordinary silicon sealer over top of the seals. The float bowls did not leak, but after a week or so, the engine just didn't run very well. I figured the pilot jets were stopped up again. Dismantled the carbs again and found these clear rubber "worms" inside the float bowls. Some silicon had oozed inside the float bowls, then swelled up to the point of causing interfence with the floats.

I solved my problem by cutting gaskets from a piece of rubber neoprene that I had that was about 0.025" thick. I placed these in the groove, and then the regular seal on top of that. Worked very well, but "normal" people would not want to spend the time on such a tedious task.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
07 Apr 2010 13:01 - 07 Apr 2010 13:05 #359033 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Rejuvenating float bowl seals?
Take your chances with this suggestion.

PB Blaster WILL make those gaskets soft and swell back up. But watch them because if the gasket soaks in the PB Blaster for too long, they will be too big to fit the bowls. Don't soak them overnight, just long enough to swell them a little bit.

If you try Tek9ine's method see if you can use some Blue Hylomar. This is a gas resistant sealer and came with a petcock I bought. The gasket surface never leaked but the petcock did, :laugh:

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 07 Apr 2010 13:05 by OKC_Kent.

More
07 Apr 2010 13:34 - 07 Apr 2010 13:35 #359036 by polkat
Thanks all! Some good info here. I am a bit lery about using gasket makers or silicon as I've had bad experiences using sealers (particularly a silicon sealer) with gasoline. But I'm considering the swelling idea with Blaster. I've also been told that spray carb cleaner will do the same thing. Between Blaster (which I don't have) and carb cleaner (which I do), what would be the better choice?
Last edit: 07 Apr 2010 13:35 by polkat.

More
07 Apr 2010 14:08 #359050 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Rejuvenating float bowl seals?
I know it says on the can of Blaster " rejuvenates o-rings". I don't think it says that on carb cleaner. Blaster is always good to have around too.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
07 Apr 2010 18:40 #359106 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Rejuvenating float bowl seals?
I find those "house shaped" O rings tend to swell from alcohol in the gas. If they swell to much you can shrink them by putting them in a ziplock bag in the freezer for 30 minutes but you have to work fast to get them back in place before they thaw and swell again.

The $14 per set ones work just as well as the the genuine Kawasaki - expensive - ones

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
07 Apr 2010 20:20 #359146 by polkat
Well, my problem was the reverse. Over the years my rings had compressed and shrunk very slightly.

I did have some Blaster it turns out (fluid of which is orange in color?). I soaked the rings in this stuff for about three hours today. There was no drastic change that I could see, but perhaps some swelling. Since the fuel level is below the bowl face, I went ahead and used them. No leaks seen yet, so I think it's okay.

Thanks all for the advice!