Hesitation????

• ambassadornchains
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Apr 2010 19:04 #358625 by ambassadornchains
Hesitation???? was created by ambassadornchains
Okay, I have 1980 kz550. I got her out a couple weeks back and everything was running great. I rode her for about a week and a half, and now I've been seeing a lot of hesitation, and don't know why. I ran some sea foam through a tank of gas and I'm still seeing it, and today I put new plugs in it (they were really sooty), and I still have it. I have gas coming out of my first carbs run off hose, like it's flooded or something. When I'm running down the road it acts fine until I really get on it in like 4th gear and up. Then just cruising it will randomly bog down. Any clue what's going on? Thanks guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
05 Apr 2010 19:09 #358629 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Hesitation????
Sonds like trash in the tank is working its way down. Clean out the petcock and change out the fuel filter, if its still there you will probably have to pull the carbs for a good cleaning

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
05 Apr 2010 19:59 #358640 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Hesitation????
Kawickrice wrote:

Sonds like trash in the tank is working its way down. Clean out the petcock and change out the fuel filter, if its still there you will probably have to pull the carbs for a good cleaning

+1
Also might not be a bad idea to clean your tank out real well. Pull the petcock off and make sure the screen on it isn't gunkified, and get any loose crud cleaned out of the tank so it doesn't get the chance to work it's way back into your carbs.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• ambassadornchains
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2010 19:03 #359818 by ambassadornchains
Replied by ambassadornchains on topic Hesitation????
Well, I finally got a chance to check the petcock and tank and they were clean.... So, does that mean I will have to have my carbs cleaned again? I just had them cleaned and rebuilt less then a year ago, and have only put about two thousand miles on it since the rebuild (that will suck to gave to pay for that again so soon). Anyway, if you guys have any other ideas about what it could be or what I can do that would be great.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
10 Apr 2010 19:14 #359823 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Hesitation????
ambassadornchains wrote:

I have gas coming out of my first carbs run off hose, like it's flooded or something.

It is flooding. The float valve needle is not properly seating, causing the carb to overflow.
Will need to be cleaned or replaced.

Try running with your tank open to see if the tank vent isnt clogged, causing a vacuum in the fuel lines.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Apr 2010 19:17 #359825 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Hesitation????
I've got the same bike.
You may have a vacuum leak at the carb holders/ manifolds. Or its also that the float levels are incorrect, was the carbs only cleaned or rebuilt? The TK carbs are pretty simple, probably some trash working in the pilot jet/ circuit. Do you run an in line fuel filter?
You may want to also check your advancer for your ignition, these can stick. Did you sync those carbs after cleaning or rebuild?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...