Re-jet when swich to pod filters?

More
05 Apr 2010 09:18 #358533 by radon220
Re-jet when swich to pod filters? was created by radon220
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum... even new to motorcycles period. My apologies if these are newbish questions. I picked up a project '81 KZ440 LTD (KZ440-A2) a week ago. I've got it running already, but it came missing the ducts on the air box and the air filter body. So I'd like to yank the air box and just use pods (and a PCV breather).

So my question for anyone who's switched from factory air filter to pods: did you do it without re-jetting the carbs or is that a must? My plan is to run it as-is and just monitor the plugs for indication of lean condition.

Second question... it seems the carb is supported solely by the air ducts on either side of it... how have people supplemented support after removing the air box? I'm tempted to use zip ties.

Thanks,
Don in CT

Don in CT
81 KZ440-D2 belt drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2010 09:22 #358534 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Re-jet when swich to pod filters?
You will definitely need to rejet the carbs. I'm not familiar with that bike, or the carbs on it, but in the case of a kz650 with vm24 carbs the main jets need to be increased from 102.5 stock to at least 112.5, and the pilots need to go up from 15 stock to 17.5. You can use some safety wire to wire up the carbs for support, just make sure you don't interfere with throttle cable operation when doing so. Someone else here will probably have a better idea of what jetting you'll need to start with to get those dialed in, but you'll for sure need to rejet.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
05 Apr 2010 11:31 #358557 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Re-jet when swich to pod filters?
The problems with pods are (aside from losing the physical support for the carbs) they are subject to crosswind interference and they change the airflow characteristics over RPM. The length, diameter and taper of the needles are tailored to match the airflow rate as the RPMs go up. Sometimes pods can't be dialed in correctly across he full operating range because of the change. You might consider buying the rubber boots to save all the time and trouble.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
05 Apr 2010 12:06 #358570 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Re-jet when swich to pod filters?
Another problem with using twist ties is that while you support them from sag it does not support them from bumps and the carbs will flex up and back again. From what I've read pods are not worth the hassle. There was some photos on here that showed how to get the carbs on and off with new connectors by folding over the connectors. That is how I do it now without problems. I did read where some connectors are not available for some models. In that case I guess pods are all you have.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
06 Apr 2010 07:17 #358700 by radon220
Replied by radon220 on topic Re-jet when swich to pod filters?
Well I can get my hands on the air ducts (boots) but not the filter body (the cap that houses the filter element). I suppose I get creative with that. It seems the key piece is the main box.

Don in CT
81 KZ440-D2 belt drive