Z1 fuel leak at fuel "T" inlet to carbs

More
29 Mar 2010 15:07 #356992 by richellist1
Z1 fuel leak at fuel "T" inlet to carbs was created by richellist1
Bike had been sitting for a long time. pulled carbs off and went through them. surprised to find no grunge in carbs.
cleaned jets, blew out. reinstalled, engine runs ok but now have fuel leaks at fuel inlet "T" to both sides. the left side slowed way down after 1/2 hour. am hoping seals were just dry. realize carbs will have to come off mounting plate to replace but heres my question. Are the seals just simple "O" rings or do i have to replace the T assy's. shop manual exploded view of carbs is inconclusive. thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2010 15:09 #356994 by richellist1
Replied by richellist1 on topic Z1 fuel leak at fuel "T" inlet to carbs
oops,. sorry. Bike is 1973 Z1 900.

More
29 Mar 2010 22:31 - 29 Mar 2010 22:51 #357122 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Z1 fuel leak at fuel "T" inlet to carbs
Rich, with 30+ year old carbs, it's a crap-shoot. I've seen both o ringed "T's'and "T's" with "rubber sleeves". with the latter, soaking overnight in fuel returned to sealing. for a goof, spray w/berrimans carb clean & let sit overnight. if leak continues, persue... if not, make it something to check w/next carb clean. (those "T"s have a tendancy to collect build-up,& limit flow.) luck G. PS, Old Dead carbs regardless of apparent "lack of gunk" seldom are. in cleaning, pay particular attention to carb passages of pilot circuit within bodies. the difference between running OK & clean/jetted carbs is substancial. g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1
Last edit: 29 Mar 2010 22:51 by gane.

More
30 Mar 2010 13:25 #357234 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Z1 fuel leak at fuel "T" inlet to carbs
the ones i have encountered were like this one.
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1910

hth,leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
31 Mar 2010 19:21 #357576 by richellist1
Replied by richellist1 on topic Z1 fuel leak at fuel "T" inlet to carbs
Thanks guys. I got lucky. came home from work the next day, turned the gas on and no fuel leak. was thinking about putting a little B-12 as G suggested but didnt need to. Have used B-12 before in automatic transmissions to soften seals. works great especially on ford c-6 trans for reverse. Carbs seem to be working ok but am having trouble with the fuel/air screw on #4. wont change mixture when turning. wonder if i can try blowing it out.
leon, the link you sent looks like the right part.
now gonna start looking for a dyna.

More
06 Apr 2010 11:46 #358766 by Marp68
Replied by Marp68 on topic Z1 fuel leak at fuel "T" inlet to carbs
Hi

I've the same problem, but on my z650 -78. Just tried to start the bike after the winter here in Sweden. It didn' start but the T-junction overflood. It has done that before, but the I just needed to move it around to make it stop.

My main problem is that no gasoline seems to reach any of the cylinders. Does the T-junction block the gasoline from reaching even the carbs or is the gasoline blocked inside all carbs blocked at the same time, which seems strange.

Any suggestion? I've never taking the carbs apart, so I
'm a bit worried that I might destroy or madjust something. If I have to take the carbs apart, what should I clean first, do you think?

Thanks in advance

/Martin