Carb Sync Questions

• dysfunction09
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2010 17:44 #355926 by dysfunction09
Carb Sync Questions was created by dysfunction09
I have an 83 kz650. I just pulled the carbs of and cleaned them, put them back on the bike and it is miles ahead of were it was, but now i think it needs a carb sync. I have a kit, it has the four gauges, i got it off of dennis kirk. I have a clymers manual that say to pull of the air injection off of carb 1 and 4, then it say to attach to some other part, i think i found it but i am not sure, on carb two is the vacuum for the petcock and on carb 3 there is a short tube with a screw in it, but the book says nothing about carb 2 or 3. I watched a video on youtube but it was a honda. Can somebody give me good directions on how to do this with some pictures possibly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
24 Mar 2010 20:00 #355959 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Carb Sync Questions
Perhaps the Clymer assumes that you've only got two gauges?

You should attach #2 gauge to where the petcock vacuum tube is connected (set your petcock to "PRI" to run your engine without vacuum).

From your description of the #3 carb, it sounds like someone was missing a vacuum port cap, and created a makeshift cap using a piece of tube with a screw inserted in the other end. Is that what it looks like? Anyhow, attach your #3 gauge to where this tube/screw is attached.

If you've got 4 gauges, you should sync all four carbs at the same time, not just 1/4.

West Linn, OR

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
24 Mar 2010 20:10 #355963 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Carb Sync Questions
Forgot to add...

You'll need to figure out how to get fuel to the engine with the tank off in order to adjust the carbs with the engine running. You can either get an auxiliary fuel supply (like this: www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1748 ). Or, if you're a cheap skate like me, you can strap the tank cross-ways on the seat with a bungee cord (protect the seat with a towel), or mount the tank somewhere else nearby (but elevated higher than the carbs) and run an extra long fuel line to the carbs.

West Linn, OR

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
24 Mar 2010 20:38 - 24 Mar 2010 20:42 #355969 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Carb Sync Questions
Well basically, the gauges can be attached all at the same time of course, so long as they are on the same section of intake, and everything else is still airtight.
They will recieve the same amount of vacuum.

Maybe this will help:

Make your vacuum line connections here... I believe they will work fine.

Let us know.

If its a vacuum operated petcock, remember to put it on prime.

GL

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Mar 2010 20:42 by TeK9iNe.

• dysfunction09
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2010 22:36 #355990 by dysfunction09
Replied by dysfunction09 on topic Carb Sync Questions
Thanks for all the help. I have a dual sport honda that has a normal tank without a vacuum operated petcock, I just need to get a couple more feet of hose. I'm going to attempt this after school tomorrow, I will let you know how good/badly this goes.