I know it is the carbs, but why?

More
10 Mar 2010 02:07 #352372 by gpzrox
I know it is the carbs, but why? was created by gpzrox
84Gpz750, stock carbs, stock everything. Pulled the carbs to clean them, pulled mains/pilots/needles/and cleaned them out. I did not pull the floats or the float needles.

What I was having was a problem with the bike starting below about 40 degrees outside temp. Was shown a trick: put a rag in the airbox and it will start every time, but you have to get the rag out quick!

Happened after a professional cleaning last year and my refreshing this year still. When I activate the choke with the carbs off the butterflies look closed as well as they can. Plugs are clean, more black than tan, but clean. Compression was good last time I checked it, and I have redone the head gasket and the valve seals during this time. Coils and plugs have been changed too, along with a CDI problem that I am working on when I get it to start.

Who's got a few minutes to explain what I don't get here? I would like to know my next step when i pull the carbs off again, see what I missed/need to look at.

Thanks guys.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2010 03:58 #352376 by chance
Replied by chance on topic I know it is the carbs, but why?
Have you checked voltage at the coils? Have you done the WG coil mod ? I think you need to check your carb holders /intakes for leakage it may no be allowing enough suction to pull the gas in the cyls.

More
10 Mar 2010 04:49 - 10 Mar 2010 04:49 #352383 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic I know it is the carbs, but why?
Just a little something I put together while doing my Carb research....

Follow link for Carb theory and a list of zipped files for various manufacturers....

This zipped file covers pretty much everything you need to know regarding carb theory, operations, JETTING, trouble shooting and extremely important Spark Plug reading....

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=461&Itemid=108

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 10 Mar 2010 04:49 by Old Man Rock.