Pods and chankcase breather?

More
06 Mar 2010 12:52 #351588 by polkat
Pods and chankcase breather? was created by polkat
Thinking about installing pods on my KZ750-4 carbs, but if I do so, what should I do about the crankcase breather hose (that was originally attached to the air box)? If I block it off won't that create pressure in the crankcase? If I cap it with some kind of filter won't that cause an oily mess around the case? What have you guts done? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2010 15:00 #351603 by sabell
Replied by sabell on topic Pods and chankcase breather?
I've never experienced much if any oil coming out of there. You can put a small filter right on the top or a filter on the end of a hose, I've even seen a hose just bundled with other hoses exiting to the underside of the bike.

'78 KZ1000A2
'79 650SR

More
06 Mar 2010 16:02 #351611 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Pods and chankcase breather?
they make a small k and n for that...Z-1 has them....some rubber hose and a couple clamps and you are good...you dont have to oil the k and n...it will oil itself...its only an exit.....

More
06 Mar 2010 16:36 #351622 by po boy
Replied by po boy on topic Pods and chankcase breather?
You should be able to find a little filter at one of your local parts houses that'll attach with a hose clamp to the hole where the hose came out the crankcase. That's what I did.

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa

More
06 Mar 2010 16:48 #351625 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Pods and chankcase breather?
[Click on image for better view.]

Attached a rubber L fitting over breather outlet with large diameter tube attached and routed as shown over swingarm to free exit underneath bike. Could of course route to exit elsewhere if desired and adapt catch-can or add filter. But have never had any problem such as oil getting on rear tire or bugs getting up into free open tube exit underneath bike.

Here used with smoothbore carbs, which don't have overflow drain nipples, and stock airbox. Eliminates rubber S hose from crankcase breather to airbox, and thereby avoids risk of fuel overflow into airbox draining down through the S connection into the crankcase.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
06 Mar 2010 17:07 #351631 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Pods and chankcase breather?
Same as Patton, extend the tub back and off to the side, not directly in front of the rear tire....

Basically off the back side of the foot peg area.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
06 Mar 2010 18:21 #351652 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Pods and chankcase breather?
Thanks guys. I'll run a tube.

A somewhat related question: When going from the stock airbox to pods, is it always necessary to rejet? What would happen if the stock jetting is retained?

More
06 Mar 2010 18:35 #351655 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Pods and chankcase breather?
polkat wrote:

Thanks guys. I'll run a tube.

A somewhat related question: When going from the stock airbox to pods, is it always necessary to rejet? What would happen if the stock jetting is retained?

you will run lean and risk a host of problems...the least being a hanging idle and potentially granading a piston...and a lot of other stuff in between.....it s not worth it....jets are cheap and its mostly labor