81 kz550 carbs

More
20 Feb 2010 16:38 #349339 by hmeric7
81 kz550 carbs was created by hmeric7
hey guys picked up a 81 kz550 and carbs or full of junk. i have the carb rebuild kits and thier keyster carbs. how easy are these to rebuild

1977 KZ 1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2010 05:28 #349398 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic 81 kz550 carbs
If you still have the original TK carburetors, they are very easy to work on and rebuild. You might want to bench syncronize them while you have them off the bike.

1981 KZ550-D1

More
02 Mar 2010 17:13 #350926 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 81 kz550 carbs
Here's a couple links.

making choke flaps

However, I found this in one of my old posts:

I found out it was Harm (a member here) who blocked all of the flap openings on the TK22 choke plates. Then when he starts the bike, he justs lifts the choke open slightly as he's cranking and it starts right up. That would emulate the blocking-the-airbox-mouth method. I think he also just put an extra detent on the choke lever just above the closed position that he goes to after starting.

I believe you can pull the choke plates out without removing the carbs. As a matter of fact, I don't remove the carbs for much of anything short of a complete rebuild. I use allen screws on the bowls so I can access the jets from below, and the needle, throttle-balance, and choke is all handled from above. One trick is to put a super-thin coat of antiseize on the bowl gasket. The bowls come off like new then. In 15 years of changing jets etc. I haven't replaced one bowl gasket yet, on about a dozen sets of TK22's.

I recommend the fast-idle screw mod I mentioned on the previous page of this thread. That will also help with starting in different temperature ranges.

Here is a useful modification to the fast idle screw:
Fast idle mod.

Here are some manometer notes:
Manometer notes.