White explosion (Mega lean) @ high rev for 1 cyl.

More
19 Feb 2010 09:42 #349165 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic White explosion (Mega lean) @ high rev for 1 cyl.
Can always take it to a Dyno Tune center... They should be able to repair as well as Dyno/jet.... Just a thought..

Or...

Cure all fix... throw them sonsabitches in the crapola pile and buy yourself a set of Keihins....;)

Look at this way.. Sure they're expensive but what isn't these days for quality parts...

$40 for each carb rebuilt kit so your down $160 plus tax...
New manifolds $20-$30 each so down another $120 plus...
New jets if still required @ $4-$9 each pending which jet...
1 year laater, still don' work...

Used/rebuilt BS34 carbs ~ $550 plus... :blink:

1 year of frustration.... Priceless... Time and associated costs hell with it.... buy new ones and be done with it...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2010 13:57 #349184 by ELCouz
I currently have Teikei (TK) 26 carbs... what type could fit ? Mikuni BS34? Oh btw, could i take let say a carb from a recent engine ex: GSX-600 (plenty of parts on the market) and install it on my kz550 (similar cc) will it work or its like plug and pray?

thanks,
laurent

1982 KZ810-R1 GPZ with hindle 4-into-1 pipe

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
20 Feb 2010 07:30 #349288 by TeK9iNe
Plug and pray... that pretty much describes it.

OK, I need some numbers...

Check your valve gaps again, and write them all down.

Check compression on all 4 cyls, write down.

When doing compression check, hold throttle wide open and have all 4 plugs removed. Also ground coil wires by inserting plugs into the plug wire ends and tape them to the head. Drain the carb bowls and leave fuel off.

Fix the choke on all carbs. They should all be assembled the same way.

Start engine with the pod filters removed. Visually verify that when you increase throttle input, that the slide in that carb rises. Verify that fuel is passing from Needle Jet. Maybe the slide is worn, and is sticking in the slide bore...

You've got some work to do!

Let us know...

GL

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
23 Feb 2010 16:44 #349840 by ELCouz

Check compression on all 4 cyls, write down.

#1: 152 #2: 150 #3:150 #4 154 psi (don't forget rings are new , compression will rise when they are seated properly but still service limit is 128 psi)

Check your valve gaps again, and write them all down.

Valve clearance are ok, I've checked them when the head was sent to a resurfacing facility. Remember this bike have virtually no wear (engine side) less than 20k miles)

This problem is driving me nuts.

To have the chance on my side i've tried recently:

-Raise the needle of carb #2 to the max (5th lower position)
-Reclean again the carbs and choke stuff disassembled the whole 4 carbs line.
-Synchronized the carbs.

At idle this bike is perfect. Higher than 4500 rpm i'm running on 3 cyl. :(

Okay here's a hint i've sprayed WD-40 like a river on the carb #2 intake boot. It worked at high rpm for 3-4 sec. BUT i've swapped boots many times between cylinders it cant be this. ??!?

BTW, raising manually with my finger the vacuum slide make the high speed richer ? It doesn't change anything still wayyyyy tooo lean at high rpm ( no explosion)...

Guys i need help please

Best wishes!

Laurent

More
23 Feb 2010 17:16 #349847 by anarki650
Okay here's a hint i've sprayed WD-40 like a river on the carb #2 intake boot. It worked at high rpm for 3-4 sec. BUT i've swapped boots many times between cylinders it cant be this. ??!?

I'm not familiar with these carbs, but this seems like there's got to be an issue with the diaphragm sealing correctly to me. Are all the surfaces that the diaphragm mates to level and creating a tight seal? Is it possible that the carb body has an imperfection that is letting air seep by the diaphragm? Just thinking out loud here...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
23 Feb 2010 17:31 #349850 by keith1
anarki650 wrote:

I'm not familiar with these carbs, but this seems like there's got to be an issue with the diaphragm sealing correctly to me. Are all the surfaces that the diaphragm mates to level and creating a tight seal? Is it possible that the carb body has an imperfection that is letting air seep by the diaphragm? Just thinking out loud here...

there is something funky in that one carb.....did you take carbs off of rack? i thought i read it that way.....that can sometimes complicate things.....i am not familiar with those carbs, but if you can get your hands on another rack that fits for a comparison, you can narrow it down.....

More
23 Feb 2010 18:08 - 23 Feb 2010 18:14 #349857 by ELCouz

If by diaphragm you mean the intake boots (or carb holder) i think it's possible... As soon as i will receive my Permatex #3 gas resistant gasket maker i will try to seal the carb «mouth» :) to the engine !

there is something funky in that one carb.....did you take carbs off of rack? i thought i read it that way.....that can sometimes complicate things.....i am not familiar with those carbs, but if you can get your hands on another rack that fits for a comparison, you can narrow it down.....

It was already like this before i disassemble the rack for the first time.

It's not easy to buy these carb.
They are [emphasis] RARE [/emphasis]. Parts are hard to find plus you can't swap with mikuni,Keihins or any old slide carbs.

I'm stuck with those i wish i could swap with any other carb but i can't! Intake boots spacing is different from old kz550 models , kz650 ,750 ,1000 etc :(

Last edit: 23 Feb 2010 18:14 by ELCouz.

More
24 Feb 2010 15:07 - 24 Feb 2010 15:07 #349964 by ELCouz
okay okay here something i think expert can answer...

I put air restriction on the #2 carb and it worked at high speed... before you jump on me and say its the PODS(or no air filter), please is that normal that i need a bigger jet only in 1 carb ?

Also will put a bigger jet increase fuel consumption (already poor mileage with a 3 gallon tank geez)?

Last edit: 24 Feb 2010 15:07 by ELCouz.

More
24 Feb 2010 21:02 #350001 by 1977650b1
Ok Don't ask how I know this BUT have you checked the small metal cap that is in the carb body just above the emulsion tube. That the slide needle fits down into to see if it is Up side Down. I do not know if you can do it in these carbs but in some carbs it will fit either way. Just Saying....
Don't Ask !!!!! :woohoo: :ohmy: :S