kz650 jets

More
18 Feb 2010 05:36 #348930 by Aumriff
kz650 jets was created by Aumriff
Hi all. Can anyone tell me what size main and pilot jet I should increase to when running carbs with pods? I am using 107 main and 15 pilot at the moment so I'll need to increase the fuel flow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KZ650 F2 (1981 UK/Euro model)
K+N Pods, Marshall 4-1 exhaust

Living in the UK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2010 06:04 #348935 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic kz650 jets
Lots of controversy on pods vs stock airbox. :blink: With your set up I would think at least 110 mains with a 17.5 pilot to start and see how a plug chop looks and how the bike pulls to redline. You have the last year with the Mikunis. You'll also have to factore in (I assume) having an accelerator pump which might give a slight hesitation with extra shot of gas upon giving throttle. Others will chime in also, let us know how it goes...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
18 Feb 2010 07:49 #348971 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic kz650 jets
I'm running 17.5 pilots and 115 mains with rods full rich. I also have pods with a 4-1 exhaust. My bike is a 1980 650 E-1 and runs great. I believe if you have the stock exhaust, the 110s will do just fine. You may have to play with the height of the metering rods to get it right. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
18 Feb 2010 15:06 #349047 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic kz650 jets
Depending on your exhaust and what type of pods (K&N flow more and need a size bigger mains in general) you'll need either 112.5 or 115 mains with 17.5 pilots. If it was me, I'd buy both sets of mains so you don't have to wait for delivery if the first guess isn't right.

On my old stock 81 kz650 CSR I was running stock carbs with pods and stock exhaust and she wanted 115 mains to be happy, but I've heard of other running 112.5s and being perfect. Just one of those things with pods, you have to experiment to find the right set up for your particular bike.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
18 Feb 2010 17:58 #349081 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic kz650 jets
I've changed my tune when it comes to pods. :woohoo:
Thier OK, but not for a street bike.
Pods will give you some extra power at the top rpm range, but will deffinately decrease accelleration through the low/midrange, and there will be a noticable flat spot in the midrange.

If your using the bike for a tight twisty track, well then pods are perfect. Otherwise, unless your leaving each coner out on the street at peak rpm, thier really not necessary.

Try a god high performance oem air filter replacement, and rejet for it. You can get a good almost 10% overall power increase, without the drawbacks in the midrange.

Remember... HP means crap. Torque is what its all about for accelleration. HP is just a mathematical calculation derived from torque to determine eventual top speed.

Just my 2 cents!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
19 Feb 2010 05:37 #349141 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic kz650 jets
TeK9iNe wrote:

I've changed my tune when it comes to pods. :woohoo:
Thier OK, but not for a street bike.
Pods will give you some extra power at the top rpm range, but will deffinately decrease accelleration through the low/midrange, and there will be a noticable flat spot in the midrange.

If your using the bike for a tight twisty track, well then pods are perfect. Otherwise, unless your leaving each coner out on the street at peak rpm, thier really not necessary.

Try a god high performance oem air filter replacement, and rejet for it. You can get a good almost 10% overall power increase, without the drawbacks in the midrange.

Remember... HP means crap. Torque is what its all about for accelleration. HP is just a mathematical calculation derived from torque to determine eventual top speed.

Just my 2 cents!

B)

Good explanation!!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
24 Feb 2010 07:59 #349923 by Aumriff
Replied by Aumriff on topic kz650 jets
Hi all, thanks for all of the advise. I have purchased some 115 main jets and 17.5 pilots - just gotta fit them. I have one more query that you all may be able to help me with. As my machine is a european model, the long needles are set on the 2nd clip down on the vavle needle (stock #4). The question is can I leave them how they are set or do I need to raise or lower the needle clip because of the increased jet size? Thanks for any help you can provide

KZ650 F2 (1981 UK/Euro model)
K+N Pods, Marshall 4-1 exhaust

Living in the UK

More
26 Feb 2010 16:43 #350310 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic kz650 jets
With pods I'd drop the clips to the #4 slot and see how she runs. #2 seems like it'd be hellaciously lean in the midrange (where most of us spend most of our time riding)...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE