Jets questions for my 750

• rnuse
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Balls to the walls, sideways all the time
More
11 Feb 2010 18:06 #347793 by rnuse
Jets questions for my 750 was created by rnuse
Alright, I've been using the search feature for two hours to find the answer. I have a vance and hines 4into1 and about to order the pods from z1e when I get the jets also.

What I have gathered...
Primary is 35 and cant be changed because they are unavailable. right?

I need to order a 65ish primary?

135ish main?

I have no idea what the names and numbers mean really, I just know I am going to need bigger ones for the increased air.

I went to order them and found the 135 on z1e but nothing else.

I believe I have the keihin cvk34 carbs.

Please help...

1982 kz750 ltd
Drag bars, 4into1 V&H with no baffle.

1991 zephyr 550
about to give up on her.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2010 18:33 #347799 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Jets questions for my 750
Hi there muse.
The pilot jet is a #35 and they are available from kawasaki but they are not cheap. Larger sizes are not available to the best of my knowledge but dont worry as it's not an issue for a 4 into 1 and pods as long as your pilots are clean

I have a mac 4 ->1 exhaust and K&N pods and am using a #140 seconday main and a #70 primary main jet. I have used 135 and 62 in the past and I think the larger jets may be just a smidgen better.
For the smaller keihin jet sizes you need to call or email Z1 Enterprises as they dont always list everything on the website. This is where I got mine.
My carbs are Keihin CV34 also but I have no idea if the ltd setup is any different to my 1980 E1
Regarding what the numbers mean - the bigger the number the bigger the hole and the more gas flows. Hope this helps.
Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• rnuse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Feb 2010 19:13 #347809 by rnuse
Replied by rnuse on topic Jets questions for my 750
Great! Thanks. Did you notice much power increase? I got that 4-1 and haven't touched my jets and it seems to be much better at high rpms. Also what size pod filters fit your bike?

1982 kz750 ltd

1991 zephyr 550
about to give up on her.

More
12 Feb 2010 14:40 - 13 Feb 2010 18:10 #347930 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Jets questions for my 750
When I bought the bike several years ago the Mac 4->1 and the K&N pods were on it so I cant say what power increase if any over stock. The jets it came with back then were 62 for the primary main and 135 for the secondary main. I had no complaints or issues. After reading some stuff here I went to the bigger 70 and 140 jets which I think may be a tad better.

If you are using a stock airbox and the 4->1 I would think it would be no harm to go up one size on your primary main jet to 130.

Regarding what size pods I just pulled one from the shelf and measured the opening at 2 inches or 52mm approx.

I'll take a pic later.

Cheers
edit
Ok Here's a pic. If you are getting pods get good ones.There are cheap ones out there which will block some of the intakes on the carbs.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2010 18:10 by JR.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
13 Feb 2010 19:37 #348156 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Jets questions for my 750
The choice to go to pods is yours of course, for whatever reason.
Just remember, despite the fact that pods will add some hp to the bike at its very highest rpm range, you will loose a significant amount of torque all thru the mid and low ranges, actually efectively making the bike accellerate slower.

You will be able to reach a higher top speed, but the bike will take longer to get there, and have a bad dip in the mid range that your airbox snorkel is designed to prevent.

Pods are ok for tight twisty tracks, where you will be winding the bike at high rpms constantly, but for road/street, its really just for looks. :P

Cheers!

I have both pods and airboxed bikes, for different reasons...

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• rnuse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Feb 2010 07:07 #348196 by rnuse
Replied by rnuse on topic Jets questions for my 750
Interesting.
Ill keep that in mind. I might go with the cheap pods for now, and if they are that bad sometime down the road I can go back to my air box.
Whats a good way to store my boots so they don't harden up??

1982 kz750 ltd

1991 zephyr 550
about to give up on her.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
14 Feb 2010 09:38 #348221 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Jets questions for my 750
rnuse wrote:

Interesting.
Ill keep that in mind. I might go with the cheap pods for now, and if they are that bad sometime down the road I can go back to my air box.
Whats a good way to store my boots so they don't harden up??

The cheap pods arent horrible, and I've used them in setups before. Just remember to not get them wet, as most are made from a paper filtering medium and will start to desintegrate as they dry, and can get sucked into the engine.
So, no rain riding, not too big a deal. :)

Store your boots inside where they wont be exposed to lots of temperature changes. Give them a spray with some fluid film (wool wax) product once in a while, and they'll last forever.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)