carb rebuild questions

More
27 Jan 2010 07:41 #344885 by babyboov92v
carb rebuild questions was created by babyboov92v
I'm a newbie here & from what Ive read this is where i need to be. I recently got my hand on a 1980 KZ1000 ltd B4.It has the VM28SS carbs with a 4 into 1 kerker exhaust. the bike sat for 15 years in my dads shop.The tank was shot & carbs where stuck.I made sure it wasn't locked up,changed the oil,cleaned the carb the best i could.And believe it or not it started and ran. To my surprise pretty good.While cleaning the carbs the end of one of the pilot jets broke off & stuck in the body. Im going to re build the carbs myself.I read some posts about setting the floats & understand how to do it.Would someone sum up how to set up the mixture screws and sync the carbs.And what do i need to do about the pilot jet.Is it possible that it was jetted for the exhaust?I'm having a lot of fun working on this bike.I love these old Kawasakis And put 10,000 miles on a 550 in 3 months after high school.I really want to ride this one .Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2010 08:05 #344890 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic carb rebuild questions
Welcome to the madness. :silly:

Sounds like you made a nice score. When you have some time, cruise on over to the carb section of the forum, and use the search function. You will eventually find about a buzillion threads on vm28s, synchronizing, jetting for Kerkers and such. Happy reading.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
29 Jan 2010 12:05 - 29 Jan 2010 12:05 #345264 by mshawn
Replied by mshawn on topic carb rebuild questions
welcome!!
i have an 84 kz1100 LTD that im trying to buid the carbs for right now its good to see that the younger guys are interested in older bikes.
hey you might want to go over to www.carlsalter.com and check out his free PDF downloadable manuals might find 1 for your bike
ride safe my friend!!!
Last edit: 29 Jan 2010 12:05 by mshawn.

More
10 Feb 2010 05:50 #347545 by babyboov92v
Replied by babyboov92v on topic carb rebuild questions
Thank I didn't find a manual for my bike ,I sent my brother there for his 350 Honda.Ive got all the parts for the carbs .I still have to set the floats.Found that here.This site has been a big help.Can any one help me with carb sync. Ive searched this site But no specific info on my bike . I just need to know what rpm & what vac to look for.I tried to find manuals with little luck.

More
10 Feb 2010 06:20 #347549 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic carb rebuild questions
pm omr,hes the carb tweaking guru/freak on here! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.