Carb Removal

More
25 Jan 2010 16:55 #344531 by miketrez
Carb Removal was created by miketrez
Hey guys, Hopefully one o fyou can help me here.

Trying to repair an oil leak from the head journal. Need to remove the head to replace it and I am stuck with how to remove the carbs without damaging the choke/throttle linkage. Can anyone offer any help, hints, or tricks for this?

Thanks,

Mike

82 KZ750 Spectre, Shaft Driven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2010 17:02 #344537 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Carb Removal
what model do ya have? they are all basically the same but sometimes it helps to know what ya have.....add bike and year to sig.....helps a lot......

More
25 Jan 2010 17:43 #344556 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Carb Removal
Mike,
First of all, get a factory shop manual, it will save your bacon many times over.

Secondly, there should be no danger to the throttle and choke linkages since the whole set of carbs and linkages come off as an assembly.

In general, you will need to remove the fuel tank and its hoses, and disconnect the throttle and choke cables from the carb assembly. If you have the stock airbox, you will need to loosen all clamps and / or springs that hold the various boots and manifolds to the carbs. Finally, you will need to rassel (that's Texan for wrestle) the carb assembly off the intake boots and intake manifolds. Be very patient, especially if the rubber has hardend.

Like Kieth1 said, the procedure will vary depending on the particular model involved. Good luck and stock up on beer and band-aids.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
25 Jan 2010 17:45 #344557 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Carb Removal
Welcome, In your profile there is a place to add your bike year and model.

Plenty of help here.

I always remove the carbs then remove the linkage. Can do do that on your bike?

Does it have the stock air box?

You could do a search on your bike in the carb section. Just click on forum and all the catagories will come up. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
26 Jan 2010 12:41 #344692 by miketrez
Replied by miketrez on topic Carb Removal
Thanks Guys!

I have a 82 750 Shaft drive.

It does have the stock air box. I tried pulling on the assembly with no success. However, I did not muscle it too much in fear of breaking the linkage. Will try again today.

I saw a picture of another rider that had put on independant air clearners directly onto the carb throat. Looked like something K&N might sell. Any one have any opinions/sources for that setup?

Also, Since I have this torn down this far, I would like to replace the piston rings. I cannot find the proper rings for the stock pistons. Anyone have a source for those?

Thanks,

Mike

More
26 Jan 2010 12:53 - 27 Jan 2010 10:08 #344696 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Carb Removal
I'm curious as to why you think the head needs replacing?

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada
Last edit: 27 Jan 2010 10:08 by TerryK.

More
26 Jan 2010 13:10 - 26 Jan 2010 15:47 #344700 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carb Removal
As TexasKZ suggested, you really need the factory service manual before attacking this project. Trying to rebuild the engine without one is going to be a VERY frustrating experience as there is a ton of information you will need to be successful. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 26 Jan 2010 15:47 by 650ed.

More
26 Jan 2010 15:46 #344745 by roy-b-boy-b
Remember, Number one rule. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If the bike has set up for a while the rings might be stuck. Rings are expiensive. Roy

More
26 Jan 2010 15:56 #344748 by miketrez
I DO have the service manual. I figured as long as I have the motor torn down to this point it might not be a bad idea to replace the rings.

I am the third owner of this bike and I do not know the past maintenance history.

It does burn oil, not in large quantities though, but I can smell it. I would like to repair all of the issues at once rather than have to do it again in the near future.

I am speaking about this before I have even opened up the head. As far as i know they may not need to be touched. If they do I would appretiate a source if anyone out there has one. I have searched and aside from the OEM I cannot find them.

Mike

More
26 Jan 2010 20:30 - 26 Jan 2010 20:31 #344840 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Carb Removal
Those are often called pod filters, or simply pods. There are several threads about them on the site, the search engine should bring them up.

In brief, pods are great when you need to remove and reinstall the carbs and have a cool look and sound. They also necessitate re-jetting and tuning the carbs and can also shorten the life of the intake manifolds unless a support is fabricated.

miketrez wrote:

Thanks Guys!

I have a 82 750 Shaft drive.

It does have the stock air box. I tried pulling on the assembly with no success. However, I did not muscle it too much in fear of breaking the linkage. Will try again today.

I saw a picture of another rider that had put on independant air clearners directly onto the carb throat. Looked like something K&N might sell. Any one have any opinions/sources for that setup?

Also, Since I have this torn down this far, I would like to replace the piston rings. I cannot find the proper rings for the stock pistons. Anyone have a source for those?

Thanks,

Mike

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 26 Jan 2010 20:31 by TexasKZ.

More
27 Jan 2010 15:23 #344950 by miketrez
Ok....Carbs, Tensioner, Cams are all off. Trying to get the head off of the cylinders and they seem to be fused together by the gasket. Is there a tip to do this with out removing the head and cylinders with out breaking any cooling fins?

Also, during my first attempt the cylinders became unseated for just a quick moment and leaked a bit of oil (oil was drained prior to begining the project). Might this comprimise that gasket? I have a full on gasket kit and changing it out would not be too difficult at this point minus getting the pistons/rings back in place.

Almost there!!!!!

More
27 Jan 2010 17:26 #344972 by roy-b-boy-b
I think they have a place to put a wedge between the cylinder and upper case. I use a rubber hammer like used to put hub caps on. Roy