Carburetors w/ accelerator pump

More
24 Jan 2010 13:55 #344332 by barquirt
Carburetors w/ accelerator pump was created by barquirt
Hello all.

Working on my second KZ650, this time a low-mile '79 650SR. Permission red, drilled discs, etc. BUT the carbs on this one have an acclerator pump on the #2 carb. I've rebuilt many sets of these slide-type carbs but this is actually the first batch with a pump on it I will be tackling. They are in rough shape ... gummed up and stuck. Aside from the usual clean/replace O-rings/gaskets etc. is there anything on this accelerator pump setup I should know? I have a pair of repair manuals (one official Kawasaki, one Clymer) but any additional insights by someone who's rebuilt a set of these would be MUCH appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2010 14:06 #344334 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Carburetors w/ accelerator pump
Be sure to rebuild the pump - Z1Enterprises.com should have a K&L kit (made in Japan). I installed one of those & it has worked fine. Make sure the float bowls have a ball, weight & clip on each one - they act as a check valve. The base of each pump nozzle should have an o-ring on it (located on the underside edge of the carb body).

To check the functionality of the pump: supply fuel to the carbs & prime the circuit by actuating the throttle pulley. Then do it some more vigorously - fuel should squirt out the pump nozzles & project into the carb bore straight back without hitting the sides. If the stream is askew or dribbles out, you'll need to clear those passages.

• muddy1
  • User
  • 1980 Kz1000 LTD B4
More
24 Jan 2010 14:19 #344338 by muddy1
Replied by muddy1 on topic Carburetors w/ accelerator pump
or just by-pass the mess with standard bowls

1970 SL-70
1972 CB 750
1973 Z1
1976 YZ 125
1976 KZ400
1979 KZ400 LTD
1980 KZ1000 LTD B4
1984 YZ 490
1989 750 Ninja

More
24 Jan 2010 20:04 #344421 by barquirt
Replied by barquirt on topic Carburetors w/ accelerator pump
Really? You can just switch out the float bowls for a standard set with no ill effects? Then what is the "benefit" of the accelerator pump?

More
24 Jan 2010 21:32 #344440 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Carburetors w/ accelerator pump
barquirt wrote:

Really? You can just switch out the float bowls for a standard set with no ill effects? Then what is the "benefit" of the accelerator pump?

The accelerator pump was added in I believe '79 because jetting was dropped down anywhere from low to high 90 jets. The lean jets required a small shot of gas to alleviate the lean condition when cracking the throttle. I put in a set of "stock" size 102.5's and might remove (un-hook rod) pump system as I no longer want "extra" gas being pumped in. I also have an extra set of '78 carbs I might rebuild and install in place of the pumpers. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!