air box?

More
08 Jan 2010 06:00 #342194 by The_New_Kid
air box? was created by The_New_Kid
I rode it today, it won't accelerate like it should and when I hold rpm it sputters a little, although when I accelerate from idle it hits on all four consitently.

could this be because the air box is not on??

'99 GMC Suburban K1500
'83 Kawasaki KZ550 M LTD

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, shouting ''Holy sh*t, what a ride!''

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
08 Jan 2010 06:16 #342196 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic air box?
If you've removed the air box and done nothing to rebalance the air fuel mixture, it won't run properly.

You've got two choices start learning every thing you can about jetting and pod filters or put the air box back on.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
08 Jan 2010 06:37 #342198 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic air box?
By removing the airbox, you've caused a lean condition.
If the bike was jetted lean from the factory, then the bike may be running real lean. Kinda risky.

More
08 Jan 2010 08:18 #342211 by The_New_Kid
Replied by The_New_Kid on topic air box?
ok. was just checckin. don't know if I will go to pods or put the box back on, maybe pods, don't want to take the carbs off to put the box on, especially baecause the rubbers are hard...

'99 GMC Suburban K1500
'83 Kawasaki KZ550 M LTD

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, shouting ''Holy sh*t, what a ride!''

More
08 Jan 2010 09:01 #342213 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic air box?
The pods cost about eight bucks each and pilots cost $2.75 and mains $1.60.

That is from Z1enterprises. Shipping will cost about eight bucks.

I like pods over stock airbox because there is less hassle changing carbs. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
08 Jan 2010 12:38 #342242 by The_New_Kid
roy-b-boy-b wrote:

I looked and couldn't find any pods mains or pilots. the pilots are clean and I figure those don't need to be replaced. it has an aftermarket header on it, what size jets should I go to with pods, and where can I find them?

'99 GMC Suburban K1500
'83 Kawasaki KZ550 M LTD

More
08 Jan 2010 16:53 #342268 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic air box?
Just an FYI... The airbox ducts are listed as Active at Kawasaki.com, so they might be available. Try contacting Z1Enterprises w the pertinent info - if they're available at the Kaw dealer, Z1 should be able to get them as well. You could ask about that other stuff too.

More
08 Jan 2010 17:19 #342276 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic air box?
The_New_Kid wrote:

roy-b-boy-b wrote:

I looked and couldn't find any pods mains or pilots. the pilots are clean and I figure those don't need to be replaced. it has an aftermarket header on it, what size jets should I go to with pods, and where can I find them?

not an expert, but if you want to run pods(spring for the k and n) and you have a pipe,probably up 2 sizes on the pilot and 2-3 on the main......running pods and a pipe takes a little trial and error.....you ll be pulling those carbs off more than once.....the last thing you want is a lean condition.....keep an eye on your plugs...
its all part of the learning curve.....there is a buttload of knowledgeable people here for you.(not me.:woohoo: )..all you have to do is read and take it all in......

More
09 Jan 2010 05:24 #342323 by The_New_Kid

nevermind, I found what I was looking for, I think I may have been thinking of somewhere else, it's hard to find parts for this bike, I have only found 2 places that sell any bike specific parts pertaining to this bike.

'99 GMC Suburban K1500
'83 Kawasaki KZ550 M LTD

More
09 Jan 2010 12:22 #342362 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic air box?
There are several threads on this site about jetting on a 550. Use the "Search Forum" box above.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough