Mikuni VM 29's or RS 34's or Keihin 29's

More
20 Jan 2010 17:06 #343668 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Mikuni VM 29's or RS 34's or Keihin 29's
I know I am rambling on here but while I loved the 1075 with the .410 cam setup I put if I had the chance to do it again I would certainly have stayed stock and maybe a bigger cam and headwork with bigger carbs.
There a few things to do to your bike that would make it faster. I rode my bike stock and exact setup as my friends cept he had lighter wheels on and I really liked the feel. Like running with boots on compared to running shoes. Remember the rotating mass robs hp. 7 pounds for 1 horsepower? Lighter wheels make the hp you have even more noticeable. Get some nice wheels and do the 18s instead of harley setup with big wheel in front and car tire size in back. You will have a better handling bike and quicker accelleration to boot. Get a comp baffle and those 29 crs and I think if you tune it right you will be a happy camper.
I ride my bike over 10k a season so in city traffic I noticed my bike overheated at times and when I took it down noticed the valve seals withing 10k were shot not to mention the one piece gasket leaked and with the bigger cam in it the chain stretched.
When I had it stock I really enjoyed the setup on it that I had and kept up with some of the other guys with no problems that were running the big bore kits.
OMR's bike I heard run and it sounded sweet and my friend Yianni put them on a bike I heard and rode with before and after several times. People can say what they like about the 29s miks but the crs are better. I'm convinced and I'm not the only one. Of course if you go to 34mm its hands down miks are better than the keihins but we're talking 29's or 31's so there it is.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2010 05:01 #343728 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Mikuni VM 29's or RS 34's or Keihin 29's
Sax brought up a really good point that goes unmentioned more often than not in these engine builds... HEAT!

Even in my mild performance build, my oil temp here in AZ reaches 270*F.... :pinch: :whistle: Granted, it's 115*F out in the summer but even at lower temps @ 90-95, the old girl gets fairly hot... OK, hotter than expected.

Obviously an oil cooler is the thought but in stop and go traffic, doesn't do a damn thing... I've switched over to synthetic so hopefully will drop 20* or so due to increased lubrication and decreased viscosity breakdowns in the oil itself....

Same time, once I get the 1000 running, it will be interesting to see what the oil temp differences will be in my measurements for I'm leaving this one stock...

Either way, back on subject... As expressed to me at the beginning design phase of my build, it's a matter of riding styles and performance desires no doubt but more importantly matched components, (ideal head work, pistons/compressions/carbs) and tuning for that's where the true power lies.

Example: 1075cc, mild performance cam, 34mm carbs, doesn't matter who makes them, brand new but no porting accomplished in the head versus the engine that does... Who has a better time in the 1/4 mile with identical configurations/riders... Same scenario, 34mm no porting vs 31mm with porting, again, who has the better time... My $$$ on the tuned 31mm system... ;)

Actually, Steve (Kawsakiman) and I were just speaking on this last night... Guy back east "Fritzy" or something as such with a little 1045cc, kicking the crap out everyone... Why, cause he has it just so perfectly matched & tuned all across the board....

Steve on his stock KZ1100 and Fritzy on his 1045 with his GF on the back yet... Handed Steve his ass.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As the saying goes, bigger is not always better...

Do your research and truly analyze your planned riding style percentages (low-mid/cruise or WOT racing), heat indexes, other build factors, realistic expectations and ideal performance desires & requirements, maintenance requirements (you vs shop) etc... and you'll know what will be the best carb for your build. ;)

Good luck in your quest....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• texaskz1000
  • User
  • 1980 KZ1000 LTD
More
21 Jan 2010 16:28 #343783 by texaskz1000
Replied by texaskz1000 on topic Mikuni VM 29's or RS 34's or Keihin 29's
Hey word to the wise listen to Larry and saxjonz. I am going through the pains of TOO BIG carbs for a bike with no head work. Stick to the proper size for engine 28's and 29's. I bought some RS34 and now I having to build up motor to really enjoy them or go back stock sized carbs.

If its a daily rider stock is good, but if your like me and run balls to wall all the time go big and dig deep for the 1075 kit and cam.

I had to learn the hardway.:S

More
21 Jan 2010 22:14 - 21 Jan 2010 22:17 #343856 by davel
Replied by davel on topic Mikuni VM 29's or RS 34's or Keihin 29's
tsar wrote:

A friend of mine is selling a rebuilt set of 29smoothies for $ 700 and is holding them for me

Will your friend let you try the 29s for a few days before committing to buy them? If so, bolt them on, tune and compare to your stock carbs. If there's a big improvement and you're happy then maybe they're worth the asking price.

If not, it's very unlikely that some other set of carbs is going to increase power. You might want to look at some other components on the bike. Carbs are often blamed for problems that originate elsewhere - ie ignition and exhaust. What type of exhaust header and baffle are you running?
Last edit: 21 Jan 2010 22:17 by davel.

More
21 Jan 2010 22:59 #343861 by tsar
Replied by tsar on topic Mikuni VM 29's or RS 34's or Keihin 29's
I am running a Kerker with a Carbon Fiber Two Brothers pipe, custom Made by Me. Also this year I will be putting a Dyna S Electronic Trigger, Accel Super coils and a MSD MC-1 to go with the 29 CR-S ,I just bought for my Baby. I thought about putting on the VM 29's and trying them but for the same money I would rather go new. You guys definitely convinced me.

THANX.

BIG MIKE
www.ironspartans.ca
Μολὼν λαβέ

Montreal,Canada
Attachments:

More
22 Jan 2010 09:34 #343927 by saxjonz
Hey Texas, just know that you will be fixing it regularly if you put a lot of miles and make sure you do a complete build not just the top end. Big cams stretch stock chain and roller to pieces within 10k
texaskz1000 wrote:

Hey word to the wise listen to Larry and saxjonz. I am going through the pains of TOO BIG carbs for a bike with no head work. Stick to the proper size for engine 28's and 29's. I bought some RS34 and now I having to build up motor to really enjoy them or go back stock sized carbs.

If its a daily rider stock is good, but if your like me and run balls to wall all the time go big and dig deep for the 1075 kit and cam.

I had to learn the hardway.:S

79 LTD B3

More
22 Jan 2010 09:40 #343928 by saxjonz
Do the Dyna coils and ignition. It's all about fine tuning things. I think very much that you will be very happy with the crs and they are a lot easier to tune than the old 29s. My 29s were a big PITA to get right and then they would sometimes idle funny until I blipped the throttle. No way I believe anyone who tries the crs over the miks would say the old miks are better carbs. No way if they ran both, I would bet my testes on that one.
tsar wrote:

I am running a Kerker with a Carbon Fiber Two Brothers pipe, custom Made by Me. Also this year I will be putting a Dyna S Electronic Trigger, Accel Super coils and a MSD MC-1 to go with the 29 CR-S ,I just bought for my Baby. I thought about putting on the VM 29's and trying them but for the same money I would rather go new. You guys definitely convinced me.

THANX.

79 LTD B3

More
22 Jan 2010 10:43 #343941 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Mikuni VM 29's or RS 34's or Keihin 29's
"I would bet my testes on that one."

Damn Sax... Who the hell would want those? :blink:
Ok, other than Kaw-Suk-Man.... :blush: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• texaskz1000
  • User
  • 1980 KZ1000 LTD
More
22 Jan 2010 15:15 #343972 by texaskz1000
Replied by texaskz1000 on topic Mikuni VM 29's or RS 34's or Keihin 29's
Saxjonz I'm not going that big about like your 80 LTD setup but I am replacing everything that moves in it LOL.

More
25 Jan 2010 15:27 #344518 by saxjonz
Well Texas, if you take it apart you will find often times you just opened pandora's box and from there it just gets crazy. Well, that I have this out I may as well do that and oh by the way this too and next thing you know it's all done and over cept the crying.
If you go stock you can do some really nice headwork to take advantage of those carbs. If you ride in the city you have to be very careful and aware of the engine overheating if you do a 1075 with big cams. But now that I have it apart again I think I don't care anymore. I want to keep those pistons and cams in it. I will figure something else out about those overheating issues. I know the bike will run suhweet when I get her back together. Those carbs will be awesome too.

79 LTD B3

More
25 Jan 2010 15:30 #344519 by saxjonz
Well, they still work. hmmmm I wish someone woulda taken me up on that bet but heck 9 months later we will see how my life will be. I hope my romance with my zapper won't end abruptly having to change diapers and such. Man, if I coulda held out just one more year. But she is a sweetheart and I love her but my testicular timing is for shit.:huh: lol
Old Man Rock wrote:

"I would bet my testes on that one."

Damn Sax... Who the hell would want those? :blink:
Ok, other than Kaw-Suk-Man.... :blush: :laugh: :laugh:

79 LTD B3