79 KZ650 Carb Overflow and Petcock issues

• thepoweroflard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2009 17:22 #340694 by thepoweroflard
79 KZ650 Carb Overflow and Petcock issues was created by thepoweroflard
I've recently developed an issue with the #1 carb overflowing out of the vent tube. It pees out gas until it gets down to the reserve level, even when not running.

Also, my petcock doesn't seem to be vacuum operated anymore. It's constantly flowing. Even after replacing the diaphragm with a kit from Z1.

Do you think the overflow is related to the petcock issue, floats or both?

Any assistance would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2009 17:46 - 25 Dec 2009 17:47 #340695 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic 79 KZ650 Carb Overflow and Petcock issues
Hi TPOL,
First welcome to the KZR Nation it`s really great to have you here.

IMHO and as you have guessed already, you have two separate symptoms. First, the No. 1 Carb is overflowing because the Fuel Service Level is too high in the float bowl.

This could be caused by one or both floats being flooded. However, it much more often caused by the Needle Valve not shutting of completely. This could be due to a deteriorated Needle Valve Seat to Needle Valve matting. The solution is a new (not expensive) replacement see our friends at Z1 Ent.

Still more common is dirt or debris lodged between the seat and the needle. The cause here is a dirty tank. The solution is to clean the tank, install a good quality, clear, inline fuel filter (not expensive) between the Petcock and the carbs and to clean out the carb. Again, I get mine from Z1.

In all cases you will want to do the Fuel Service Level
adjustment as per your FSM.

Second you have a free flowing Vacuum Operated Petcock. I have never worked with one so I prefer not to comment and to await input from more informed sources. However, I suspect you solution may lie in cleaning out your petcock or changing out for a Manually Operated Petcock. Z1 can help. I understand a Suzuki Petcock of the same vintage is available as a bolt in swap at an affordable price. I went for the Pringle after market Petcock which has worked fine but I`m not crazy about the routing of the gas line out the side rather than out the rear as in the OEM model.

Best of success. :)

PS,
Don`t forget to add your year, model and location to get the best responses... and it`s considered real friendly too.
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2009 17:47 by bill_wilcox100.

• thepoweroflard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2009 23:10 #340727 by thepoweroflard
Replied by thepoweroflard on topic 79 KZ650 Carb Overflow and Petcock issues
Thanks for the welcome and all the information. I have a 1979 KZ650 SR. We hadn't had any problems with the carbs overflowing before, even with the free flowing petcock but the tank did have to be cleaned. I suppose something got lodged in before we cleaned and reinstalled the tank and it is holding the float open. Time for another carb pull.

More
26 Dec 2009 07:55 #340750 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 79 KZ650 Carb Overflow and Petcock issues
Yea, you have 2 problems. A good set of carbs will not leak even if the petcock is stuck on. The vacuum petcock diaphram is a delicate thing. All needs to be assembled just perfect or it won't work. Use Kawasaki parts, cheap at $12 or so for the petcock kit and works. Other brands may or may not work is why I stay Kawasaki.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Dec 2009 06:55 #340814 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 79 KZ650 Carb Overflow and Petcock issues
If no issue found with float valve or float or float setting, would also check for a crack in the overflow tube (#6 in the above posted diagram).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Dec 2009 13:08 #340849 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 79 KZ650 Carb Overflow and Petcock issues
The vacuum petcocks are afflicted by essentially the same problems as the needle valves - deterioration and crud. The solutions are also basically the same - clean the tank and clean and rebuild the petcock. Also as mentioned above, the factory replacement parts are not terribly expensive and the job is quite easy, but care is essential, especially with the diaphragm as it is very thin and easy to damage.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough