How to repair/replace a fuel gauge stuck on Full?

More
29 Nov 2009 16:36 #336592 by onanysunday
I have a '79 KZ1000ST. I was riding the other day on my way to the gas station, when all of a sudden my fuel gauge went from 'empty' to 'full' w/o adding any gas. I knew the bike was close to empty so I filled it half way and still the fuel gauge reads Full. I disconnected the fuel gauge electrical connector and of course it drops to empty with ignition on. When I plug the connector back in, fuel gauge slowly returns to a full reading. Does anyone know what went wrong here, what to look for or what part I need to replace this so I can get a working fuel gauge again? My first guess is a fuel level float somewhere inside the tank that got stuck and needs replacement. But then again, I'm no expert and this is where I ask for your help/expertise. How hard is it to fix this unresponsive fuel gauge problem and what should I do? Any thoughts, suggestions, or help finding the right replacement? Thanks.

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2009 19:48 #336638 by gane
On, Fuel guages are goofy. the sender (inside tank) is just a big open wired rheostat. the float/arm rises/falls making contact (hopefully) on exposed high resistanc wires on a vertical post. somewhere later (depending on make/model)this resistance is "damped" providing a "smoothed " voltage to meter. since unplugging meter allows empy reading, would suspect sender or wiring to meter. I'd start by unpluging sender at tank & go from there.Luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
30 Nov 2009 11:42 #336712 by onanysunday
Replied by onanysunday on topic How to repair/replace a fuel gauge stuck on Full?
thanks g, I'll check wiring to the meter. What does a sender look like? Sounds like it plugs in directly at the tank? I wonder if KZ Enterprises sells stuff like this? I will take a closer look..

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
01 Dec 2009 07:55 #336841 by Skyman
I see the sender units come up on EBay every once in a while. Just keep an eye out for them there.

West Linn, OR

More
01 Dec 2009 18:49 #336971 by onanysunday
Replied by onanysunday on topic How to repair/replace a fuel gauge stuck on Full?
thanks for help on this.

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

More
18 Mar 2010 12:42 #354302 by onanysunday
How are these sender units user serviceable/replaceable from INSIDE the gas tank? Do they actually just unplug or unscrew from the bottom of the tank? It seems like you might need to purchase another gas tank to have another chance at a working sender..If I were able to find one, what would be a reasonable price to pay for this part? My guess is it'd probably have to be used, right?

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

More
21 Mar 2010 11:41 #355189 by onanysunday
I have tested the wiring around the sender and all appears good. I found a new fuel sender for sale. It has no picture but has an OEM part number for cross-reference. I went to bikebandit.com to look up the sender assembly schematics on the fuel tank, but they didn't have a picture/part number. Does anyone know whether the sender assembly includes black wiring on one end that has a white connector on the tip? I can't tell if the sender is that whole, complete assembly, or just the float inside the tank. This is good to know, since I'm not sure if buying this $100 "sender" would actually include everything I need (including wiring) to get the fuel gauge working again.

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

More
21 Mar 2010 12:45 #355199 by sm0kinace
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration$100 sounds about right for a whole new sending unit. It *should* come with everything you need to connect to the gauge, float, unit, wires, possibly a gasket. I would check the return policy for the site or try to contact their CS before ordering if you're afraid of getting burned.

probably a minimum that you would receive in that pic

1978 KZ650
Ichyta, KS

More
21 Mar 2010 13:30 #355207 by otakar
First unplug the sending unit and see if the gauge drops to empty. If it still shows full than it is the gauge and not the sending unit. I have fixed my sending units plenty of times. Sometimes they are just loaded up with goop and sometimes the reostat wire is broken.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000