Leaking petcock?

• switch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000m CSR
More
29 Nov 2009 13:33 #336521 by switch
Leaking petcock? was created by switch
I have cleaned my tank and replaced the petcock, cap, and float. I filled it and have it sitting off the bike while I wait for Z1E to send my airbox hoses.

I am getting a slow leak from the petcock. It is not from the gasket around the unit, it is through the fuel pipe into the fuel hose.

Since I don't have the vacuum hose hooked up, can I expect to have this leakage occur when I do hook up the tank to the carbs?

This is a 81 KZ100 M1 CSR.

1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (gone)
You do not have to believe everything you think!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2009 14:44 - 29 Nov 2009 14:45 #336548 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Leaking petcock?
Maybe not seep when the carbs are hooked up, depends how well the vacuum valve cuts the fuel off. If the floats/needles in the carbs are good, they may stop the gas from over flowing. A lot of petcocks seep a little gas.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Nov 2009 14:45 by bountyhunter.

More
29 Nov 2009 16:21 - 29 Nov 2009 16:26 #336581 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Leaking petcock?
I love the vacuum activated petcok when they are working but they can be a PITA when they malfunction. My carbs will overflow if the petcock leaks. In theory float valves should stop the gas but in practice it doesnt happen. What can I expect with 30 year old carbs :laugh:

I have had the same problem and would suggest taking the petcock apart and taking a look at the spring that pushes on the little rubber diaphragm.
It should look like this NNNNNN. Stretch it out a little so it looks like this NNNNNNNN and put it back. I hope this helps.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 29 Nov 2009 16:26 by JR.

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
29 Nov 2009 16:28 #336586 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic Leaking petcock?
Only when bike is running would produce vacuum to open the petcock. In time, they may sip a little, but I wouldn't expect a new petcok leaking at all, if position is not in prime.

More
29 Nov 2009 22:43 #336657 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Leaking petcock?
switch,

As you have gathered from the great advise above, a properly installed and properly working petcock with good gas lines and clamps should never leak. If it does leak then I would repair or replace before riding season.

On an unrelated subject, did you add a premium quality clear inline Fuel Filter between the petcock and the carbs? IMHO, this is not optional in 30+ year old fuel tanks... don't ask. :blush:

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada