1980 KZ550LTD Fuel Line Question

• deftones5792
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Nov 2009 20:14 #335961 by deftones5792
1980 KZ550LTD Fuel Line Question was created by deftones5792
I am looking to install an inline fuel filter on my 1980 KZ550LTD. I have looked through the user manual and two service manuals and can not find the fuel line size. It appears to be 5/16 but I want to make sure before I buy the filter and extra hose. Does anyone know the size of this line? I'll need to know whether its ID or OD too if possible.

Can you recommend a good brand of filter? They range from about $3 to $35! Appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2009 22:41 - 25 Nov 2009 22:46 #335974 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1980 KZ550LTD Fuel Line Question
5/16" or 8mm ID line works (but you still have to use the tiny ring clamps).
Stick with scintered bronze filters. The paper ones seem to be having problems lately.

This thread pretty much covers it. I very accurately measured the pipe the fuel line goes to.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=3&id=311795

Also, you do know the tank has a screen attached to the petcock, correct?

I haven't picked any filters up yet... sidetracked by 50 other things. I'm running with just the petcock screen right now (that's as it came from the factory).

The clear fuel lines only last a short time. Don't even try plain vinyl. It lasts mere days or weeks.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2009 22:46 by loudhvx.

• Iron Duke
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
More
25 Nov 2009 22:44 #335975 by Iron Duke
Replied by Iron Duke on topic 1980 KZ550LTD Fuel Line Question
Welcome ryan to KZR nation, in answer to your question don;t have the manual handy right now, but belive last time I got fuel line it was 5/16 OD, get clear, or colored so you can check flow, I use a 3 dollar cone filter and change it twice a year works great, had to get rid of vacuum petcock,went with a manual. Face plate needed rigging, works much better than stock vacuum petcock. the invasion continues. regards Duke

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

• deftones5792
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Nov 2009 09:21 #336037 by deftones5792
Replied by deftones5792 on topic 1980 KZ550LTD Fuel Line Question
Thanks for the link to your thread...extremely informative. Looks like everyone has different opinions as to what works but I think paper filters are out of the question for me too. That Sudco site has a seemingly high quality fuel line, clamps, and a Pingel aluminum body filter with a bronze element. Might as well grab everything in one order. Yes, I do know that the petcock has a filter. I actually swapped out the vacuum petcock with a manual because it was leaking like crazy (even after a rebuild). This is the main reason I want to add the inline filter. The new petcock has its fuel connection perpendicular to where it used to be so the stock fuel line is not long enough. So I'll be adding some line and the filter rather than just coupling the fuel lines (already tried that and it leaked like crazy - hence my fuel line size question). When you get around to it, and if you think of it, let me know which filter works for you. Thanks again for all your help.

Duke, Thanks for welcoming me to the forums and for your advice. I too had to change the petcock (see above) which lead me to my original question. I am torn between the clear filters and solid ones (aluminum). I'd like to be able to see the fuel flowing but I dont really like the paper filter idea. The only other option seems to be the mesh filters with glass bodies. The second I saw those I got turned off. I'm not to fond of the idea of a fuel leak onto a hot engine right below me. Thanks again!

Ryan

More
26 Nov 2009 09:32 - 26 Nov 2009 09:33 #336042 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1980 KZ550LTD Fuel Line Question
Here are links to a couple of the inline fuel filters from Z1E.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=293

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3289

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Nov 2009 09:33 by Patton.