What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?

• gravityoutlaw
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Nov 2009 02:43 #335310 by gravityoutlaw
What to Fix on Vacuum Prob? was created by gravityoutlaw
Hi, I've read the forum on fuel delivery problems and run the tests e.g ran bike with fuel cap open and on prime.

The bike a 1980 Z500 runs well through the gears until you want to cruise on the motorway then it starts to hold back like fuel starvation. I've run the test as per forum and the bike runs perfect with fuel cap open and tap on prime, but I can't find on the forum what parts to replace for the fix!

E.g do I need to rebuild petcock or fuel cap or both. Or is it just to replace diaphragm in petcock.

Can anyone please guide me

Cheers
Colin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2009 05:54 #335334 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?
Try running with the tap on "on" and cap closed. While cruising along with your problem happening open cap and observe. If problem goes away it's the cap, if not then it's the petcock. Take cap apart and make sure "vent" is open and make sure you have a good vaccum source for the petcock (which does not need vaccum on "prime") If either one fails to solve problem then check fuel flow from tank to carbs. Check for volume (have container handy) May have a restriction in petcock (dirt, crap, etc) Let us know... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
23 Nov 2009 06:56 #335342 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?
I'd take apart the cap and clean the vent. Then take apart the petcock. I'm not sure about the vacuum ones but the manual ones have a screen and a bowl. Just be careful of the diaphragm. I'd also confirm the vacuum line is ok and not cracked or plugged and coming from a vacuum source. Good time to add an inline fuel filter if you do not already have one. GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• gravityoutlaw
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Nov 2009 07:07 #335344 by gravityoutlaw
Replied by gravityoutlaw on topic What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?
The problem is still there with tap on "on" and cap opened, I could here the cap hissing when problem started after I got back from work! It might be a mixture of both cap & tap. Would it pay to get a new diaphragm for the petcock and a inline filter + check petcock for any restrictions?
Cheers
Colin

More
23 Nov 2009 08:55 #335362 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?
When I had fuel flow problems I ended up buying a different bike's petcock, brand new (and from a Suzuki, Shhh!). It was much more modern and had a great big screen on it that allowed me to run without an in-line filter, to improve the fuel flow of course.
Took me about a fortnight to finally suss it out. Good hunting!!

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
23 Nov 2009 09:38 #335374 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?
I've read/heard about how the alcohol/gas mix is destroyng some rubber carb parts. I'd replace the fuel lines as they are constantly exposed to this mix, potentially swelling and restricting the fuel flow.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 Nov 2009 14:45 #335409 by Bluemeanie
gravityoutlaw wrote:

The problem is still there with tap on "on" and cap opened, I could here the cap hissing when problem started after I got back from work! It might be a mixture of both cap & tap. Would it pay to get a new diaphragm for the petcock and a inline filter + check petcock for any restrictions?
Cheers
Colin

If your diaphram was bad it would be spraying fuel as one side has fuel and the other side has vacuum. Where do you have vacuum hooked up to?

More
23 Nov 2009 18:48 #335487 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?
Sometimes a careful and thorough cleaning of the petcock will resolve a problem with fuel flow through the petcock.

This entails removal of the petcock from the fuel tank, and complete disassembly of the petcock.

Correct reassembly is of course also required.

Fuel flow through vacuum operated petcock may be tested with engine not running by detaching the fuel line from the petcock, turn vacuum operated petcock to ON or RES (not PRI), detach vacuum hose from carb, use a syringe to supply vacuum to hose, and watch for fuel flow from petcock nipple.

On a vacuum operated petcock in ON or RES position (not PRI), the fuel flow is blocked by operation of a diaphram/o-ring/spring until vacuum is applied (which vacuum usually comes from a running engine).

Do you have for reference a parts diagram of the petcock?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Nov 2009 18:56 #335491 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?
If needed, here's a diagram from kawasaki.com of fuel tank and petcock on 1980 KZ550-A1.

[Click on image to enhance view]

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• gravityoutlaw
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Nov 2009 02:21 #335557 by gravityoutlaw
Replied by gravityoutlaw on topic What to Fix on Vacuum Prob?
Thanks guys will try a strip & clean up of the petcock.

Cheers for all your inputs
Colin

More
24 Nov 2009 05:48 #335592 by Bluemeanie
Make sure fuel line from petcock to carbs have no kinks in it either! Let us know... :)