Which carb for this 650 setup?

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Mar 2006 15:57 #33457 by newbikekiller
Which carb for this 650 setup? was created by newbikekiller
As the title implies

I have to pick between BS32's (Stock on my 83 kz650) and VM24's for my build. Which one will perform better or will I not notice any big difference?

Here is the setup
Pod air filters
Kerker 4-1 exhaust
Wiseco 700cc engine kit
1980 KZ750 Head and cams

Of course I will rejet regardless... What do you guys think?

NBK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2006 15:13 #34738 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Which carb for this 650 setup?
Bigger than 24 I would guess. 32's came on 83's? Wouldn't go smaller then. Although a 900 runs real real well on 29 smoothbores. Is it possible that a CV carb needs more area than a standard round slide? I suppose I would go for 29mm smooth bores or the 28mm that came on Z1/KZ 900's. Although that would probably mean going to a different intake boot. What came on 83 750's?

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Mar 2006 19:46 #34801 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic Which carb for this 650 setup?
Allow me to clarify
I'm picking between BS32's and VM24's because thats what I have on hand. Both carbs came on the KZ650's - just different years. I don't mind switching intake boots at all.

Of course if 29mm smooth bores will give me a huge performance jump I'd be willing to look into that if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Cheers!
Peter AKA NBK

More
27 Mar 2006 23:42 #34868 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Which carb for this 650 setup?
I think the slide carbs [24mm] will be a little more responsive and you don't have to worry about the diagrams. After my pipe the next thing I added was 29 smoothbores. I had to modify 900 intake boots to fit them. They worked great and my mileage went up a little because the carbs work so well. I got a good deal on them and I knew I was going to build the motor up soon so I got them. Smoothbores can be a bit pricey so if you not planing other mod's later I wouldn't spend the $$ on them.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Mar 2006 13:11 #34991 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic Which carb for this 650 setup?
I am looking for more top end power (even at the expense of bottom end), but my motor will stay at 700cc w/ the 750 head and cams, pods, and 4-1 probably for the life of my KZ650 (This is the only mods I plan on) so is this enough to justify the smoothbores?