Hollow sound near carbs

More
15 Nov 2009 08:29 #333837 by 82kz1000P
Hollow sound near carbs was created by 82kz1000P
I put on the new intake boots and air-side boots I got from Z1Enterprises; it was much easier to install the carbs as the new air-side boots were soft enough so I could fold them back on themselves, making more room to slide in the carbs. I cleaned the carbs while they were off.

The bike starts, idles, and runs great, plugs are light coco brown, but it seems to sound different; it has a hollow sound which seems to come from the carbs, maybe nearest the float bowl area, but it's hard to tell. The attached wav file has the sound; there's a lot of mechanical noise in the recording too, but that has always been there; it's the hollow sound that seems new.

I'm wondering if the new air-side boots are made of a thinner material and causing the noise. The sound is almost like I'm running K&N air cleaner pods, but it's all stock (stock air box and filter; I changed the air filter but that didn't change the noise). Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2009 09:17 #333847 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Hollow sound near carbs
did you put any sealer on boots when you mounted them to head? maybe retighten everything B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
15 Nov 2009 09:59 #333852 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Hollow sound near carbs
Make sure all nipples on carb holders are plugged! ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
15 Nov 2009 16:32 #333962 by 82kz1000P
Replied by 82kz1000P on topic Hollow sound near carbs
I did use sealer on the intake boots; squirted everything with wd-40 while running to see if there were any leaks, found none. And there are no ports to plug on the boots. This is weird.

More
15 Nov 2009 16:41 - 15 Nov 2009 16:42 #333963 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Hollow sound near carbs
if you have a propane torch handy just crack the valve open where you can just smell propane without lighing the torch and run it around the carb boot area and around the carbs with motor running,if youve got a vacuam leak it will let ya know B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2009 16:42 by PLUMMEN.

More
16 Nov 2009 19:55 #334246 by 82kz1000P
Thanks; I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know; I'm not sure wd40 would tell me and I don't want to use carb cleaner on my new boots.

In a unrelated matter, today while in traffic my petcock vacuum valve started pissing out gasoline (a steady stream); I made a temporary road-side fix and need to order a new one.

More
17 Nov 2009 19:04 #334399 by 82kz1000P
Used the propane torch idea to check for intake/vacuum leaks and found none. The bike kept the same RPM. But the bike's running fine, so I guess I'll just ride.