Throttle cable sticking!

More
09 Nov 2009 22:44 - 09 Nov 2009 22:47 #332558 by polkat
Throttle cable sticking! was created by polkat
The throttle cable on my '82 Kawasaki KZ750H sticks when the engine is cold, and particularly when the choke is on. I have to kill the engine if I rev it up before it is warm. Jiggling the throttle won't drop it back. After it's warm enough to cut the choke, it seems better, but I don't trust it. The cable looks fine and is not kinked along it's length. I can't see why the choke setting effects this, but it does.

What is the easiest way to lube the cable? And where is the return spring (it might be weak)? Thanks!
Last edit: 09 Nov 2009 22:47 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2009 22:46 - 09 Nov 2009 23:05 #332559 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Throttle cable sticking!
Check the adjustment of the throttle and throttle return (assuming you have one) cables. If the adjustment is out of whack you can have similar problems.

Not sure why it would make a difference hot vs. cold though.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><
Last edit: 09 Nov 2009 23:05 by savedrider.

More
09 Nov 2009 22:50 - 09 Nov 2009 22:51 #332560 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Throttle cable sticking!
Just one cable. I'm guessing the return spring is either in the handle or near the carbs somewhere. The cable is adjusted fine; when warm, it opens the carbs fully and fully closes them as well. No, I don't know why the choke effects this, but it does. I'm thinking the cable is dry inside, as it is a bit sluggish (in feel) when cold.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2009 22:51 by polkat.

More
09 Nov 2009 23:11 #332564 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Throttle cable sticking!
Are these the original cables? If so you may want to try a bit of cable lube.

The return spring should be on the carbs, not in the throttle twist assembly. Usually the springs are pretty resilient.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

More
09 Nov 2009 23:17 #332565 by polkat
Yep, original cable (just one). You mentioned "If so you may want to try a bit of cable lube."

Yea, that's what I was asking. How? I am assuming that you take the throttle apart at the handlebar and squirt the stuff down the cable...right?

Is the throttle return spring(s) at the carbs a single spring, or do all 4 carbs have one?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
10 Nov 2009 04:26 #332576 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Throttle cable sticking!
Don't use a spray lube unless you have the proper cable lubing tool for sprays. Without is really messy! :P

A cheap and effective alternative is to use a sandwich bag as a funnel. Once you have the end of the cable free from your throttle, poke it thru a corner of the bag then use an elastic to hold it tightly in place. Tape the bag to your bars, then fill it with some oil.

When the oil runs out the other end, you're done! :)

Cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
10 Nov 2009 05:08 #332580 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Throttle cable sticking!
Sounds normal to me. When you use the choke the idle will rise. Have you tried to start the bike without the choke on or just partially on? Sometimes I dont even use the choke when cold.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
10 Nov 2009 06:04 #332589 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Throttle cable sticking!
Are you talking about when the bike is hot or cold or the outside temp? Grease in the twist grip gets old and starts to bind up, especially in cooler weather. Happened to me, removed, cleaned and regreased (lightly) and all is well!:)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
10 Nov 2009 11:48 #332646 by polkat
As I mentioned in the original post, this only happens when the bike is cold and the choke is on. I realize that the engine will rev higher when the choke is on. that's not the problem. If I tweak the throttle during warm up for an instant, say up to 4000rpm, it stays at 4000rpm when I release the throttle. I then have to kill switch it to stop it. After that it's okay again until I tweak the throttle...problem repeats.

Once the engine has warmed up, and the choke is off, the problem is mostly gone.

More
10 Nov 2009 12:13 #332652 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Throttle cable sticking!
polkat wrote:

As I mentioned in the original post, this only happens when the bike is cold and the choke is on. I realize that the engine will rev higher when the choke is on. that's not the problem. If I tweak the throttle during warm up for an instant, say up to 4000rpm, it stays at 4000rpm when I release the throttle. I then have to kill switch it to stop it. After that it's okay again until I tweak the throttle...problem repeats.

Once the engine has warmed up, and the choke is off, the problem is mostly gone.

what you just stated about adding throttle while on choke and a cold motor is typical of these bikes. not a cable issue.

More
10 Nov 2009 12:23 #332655 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic Throttle cable sticking!
I have found that the routing of the cables effects the throttle response. I would pop the gas tank off and move physically move the two cables on top of the rubber damper that holds the gas tank in place or uder and test the return.

I had a problem with the return when I swapped out handle bars and lubed the cables to no effect, not until I removed the tank the return operated as normal. The problem was a simple fix, but is almost too simple to even consider.

More
10 Nov 2009 22:33 #332764 by polkat
Hummm...doesn't sound right that the engine would stay at 5000rpm just because the choke is on. Also, people keep responding about two cables. This bike only has one and that is stock. But the suggestions are appreciated! I'll figure it out.