NEED CARB LUBE ADVICE!!!!

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
07 Nov 2009 13:07 #331967 by newOld_kz1000
NEED CARB LUBE ADVICE!!!! was created by newOld_kz1000
HISTORY: pulled the carbs off my 1978 kz1000A2 standard model 2 months ago for cleaning. Put them back on, and started the bike -- well I've had to pull the carbs back off again in order to CLEAN EM AGAIN.

Last night I found that my throttle slides were *stuck* *in* *the* *bore* of the durned carbs, all 4 slides -- the symptom when I ran the bike was, surprise surprise, high rpm that just wouldn't settle down.

I DID THE FOLLOWING CLEANING 2 MONTHS AGO
1) I cleaned inside of the carburetor interior bores with Berryman's carb cleaner, blew it off with an air gun

2) then lubed the throttle slides with household oil

3) NOTE: I did NOT remove the throttle slides for the cleaning 2 months ago, just moved them up and down as I doused the bores with Berrymans, air gun, then the oil

WOULD THAT EXPLAIN WHY the slides WERE STUCK IN THE BORES AGAIN despite my earlier cleaning? I mean, did the (engine heat + remnants of Berrymans + gasoline + household oil) = glue?

The main reason 2 months ago that I originally took the carbs apart was the bike had set for 10 years and the carb slides were stuck in the bore. So my attempt 2 months ago to solve the 'stuck in the bore' problem has failed cause the darned slides are sticking again.

Maybe there is still some 10-year-old gas/varnish in the carb bores...?

Thing is though, when I cleaned the carb bores 2 months ago with Berrymans and then doused them with household oil, them throttle slides were moving quite FREELY like a dog shoved onta a froze-up lake. I said to myself "Well, I fixed that sticking throttle problem -- let's reassemble and RIDE!!"

Now that I have to clean them all over again -- THIS TIME I have removed the throttle slides and will clean the bores out and clean the slides quite thoroughly.

What should I then to lubricate the throttle slide's bore prior to re-installing the throttle slides? Silicone grease? I SURE THE HECK AINT USING HOUSEHOLD OIL less you fellers thing thats a good idea....

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2009 13:14 #331968 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic NEED CARB LUBE ADVICE!!!!
no lube is needed....how do the slides look? all discolored? make sure you clean the bores good with carb clean...i used a battery powered cleaning brush i got at wally mart ...kinda like a big electric toothbrush...spray the bores and scrub em....i actaully took some mothers to the slides to clean em up a little....try to make sure the slides go in the bores they came out of......

More
07 Nov 2009 13:33 #331972 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic NEED CARB LUBE ADVICE!!!!
install the slides dry,the oil turns to goo and makes em sticky :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
07 Nov 2009 13:41 #331977 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic NEED CARB LUBE ADVICE!!!!
Use some gasoline. It has lubricants in it for reasons similar. Slides nicely afterwards.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)