KZ 650 Mikuni Carbs

More
06 Nov 2009 08:56 #331768 by cafe440
KZ 650 Mikuni Carbs was created by cafe440
New guy here... hoping to get a little advice and knowledge.
I rebuilt my kz440 carbs last year with no problems (simple carbs) now I am tearing apart a 1980 KZ650 LTD for the winter project (which runs and drives but in warm weather bogs out).
I havent worked on the "cv" carbs yet so this will be a challenge and adventure. took the bowls off last night and they are pretty clean and look in great working order.

They are Mikuni carbs and I see the one main jet but it appears to be inside the slide for the diaphram??? and also the small pilot jet. I do know that the previous owner did larger jets (along with 4-1 exhaust and pod filters) so I know i need to get the airbox and hopefully stock or slighty larger jets.

Long post and thanks for the help in advance. Any insight would be greatly appreiated thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
06 Nov 2009 18:24 - 06 Nov 2009 18:29 #331867 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic KZ 650 Mikuni Carbs
cafe440 wrote:

(which runs and drives but in warm weather bogs out

More than likely, too rich. At what throttle position does it bog? What do your plugs look like?

Make sure that all your float levels are exactly spec.
You do have the manual? right? :)

You can search the forum for float height adjustment for further info...

Good luck!

B)

If the bike runs fine mostly with the current setup, I would stick with it and get it right, rather than throw an air box in there and have to start changing all the jets/jetting. Besides, it'll be faster... :laugh:

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 06 Nov 2009 18:29 by TeK9iNe.

More
09 Nov 2009 09:53 #332358 by cafe440
Replied by cafe440 on topic KZ 650 Mikuni Carbs
Thanks for the help!!

It bogs at about 5K rms's and just loses all power. since it has only been cold i assume it will bog sooner in warmer weather.

THe plugs look fine and get great spark

float levels seem to be ok, i will check the specs and no i dont have a manual haha

the bike runs fine now but like i said warm weather will be the true test. I have a 440 myself and i have pods on it but hat to build plates to act as air resisters. I'm afraid I will have to do the same here. I need to put smaller jets in it also because these are just too large and are nothing but a problem. thanks for hte advice!!!

I appreciate the help