Syncing carbs again?

More
30 Oct 2009 12:24 #330507 by polkat
Syncing carbs again? was created by polkat
Being new to multiple carburetors on motorcycles (although I'm a good auto mechanic) I tried using info from posts on this board to sync my carbs on my '82 KZ750-4 without much success. I'm going to try it again. I understand the principals behind the use of a manometer and how to make one, but I'm not exactly sure where to plug the lines in, or exactly what to turn (or where the screws(?) are) to make the adjustments. I do have the manual for the bike, but the pictures are not printed well and hard to see, and it's physically hard to get my hand in around the carbs.

Does anyone have a pic clearly showing the hookup and adjustment points? Another big problem is that I'm not certain just what kind of carbs these are. I looked for some ID on the carbs but can find nothing. Help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2009 13:50 #330520 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic Syncing carbs again?
maintenance.kz650.info/GeneralMaintGuides.htm

All the info you will need, but with no pictures.
THis will hep you to get started.

More
30 Oct 2009 15:10 #330529 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Syncing carbs again?
Thanks for that site! Okay, I think I found some ID on these carbs. They are Keihin and have the number 1495 TG10 on them. Can anyone tell me what model these are and the size? Thanks!

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
30 Oct 2009 18:27 #330569 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Syncing carbs again?
Cool site Yukabodos, thanks JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
30 Oct 2009 19:01 - 30 Oct 2009 19:02 #330572 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Syncing carbs again?
Your carbs are Keihin CV34 model.

The hook up point for a manometer or carb synch gauges is a brass nipple with a black rubber vacuum cap on it which you can see in the pick below. There will be same nipple on each of the carbs. Ignore the "crack" as the pic was used in another post.

Dont waste time trying to feel around underneath the tank. When you are ready to synch take the tank off and use something else as a gastank. I have a little gastank from a lawnmower which works a treat.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2009 19:02 by JR.

More
30 Oct 2009 19:50 #330576 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Syncing carbs again?
And there are three screws held in place by fastening nuts. One screw for carbs 1&2, one for 3&4 and one for 2&3. They are located near the caps where you'll attach the manometer tubes. You need to loosen the nuts to adjust the screws.

I made one of the homemade manometers using plain clear tubing - 3/8" maybe - and using standard motor oil. It worked pretty well for what I use the bike for, which is just basic riding transportation and cruising with friends.

More
30 Oct 2009 20:02 #330579 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Syncing carbs again?
Okay, I understand how the manometer functions (basic physics), and I can see the vacuum ports on the carbs. It's the part with the screws I'm having trouble understanding. I see a screw embedded in the top of each carb (4 total, which look a lot like idle jet adjusters on auto carbs), but you're saying the 3 screws are actually on the....linkage? Okay, I think I see them, but how can a single external screw adjust for vacuum differences between two carbs? I must be looking at this wrongly?

More
30 Oct 2009 22:19 #330596 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Syncing carbs again?
Just like on a multi-carb car. What you are doing is adjusting the throttle plate in each carb. The vacuum reading tells you when they are opening and closing the same - synchronized. The screw between carbs one and two adjust the throtle plates in those to carbs relative to each other, just like the linkage adjustment between the primaries of a dual quad car. Since nobody else has mentioned it yet, you really ought ot get a factory shop manual. It has detailed instructions and pretty good pics.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough