Individual air cleaners?

More
25 Oct 2009 14:17 #329551 by polkat
Individual air cleaners? was created by polkat
Bare with me here, I'm a good auto mechanic but new with motorcycles. I've seen a number of custom Kawa fours where the air box has been removed and small air cleaners attached to each carb. What brands are these cleaners? I really like that look, but what is done with the vacuum line that went to the airbox? And is this mod legal in...say, California? Thanks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2009 15:05 - 25 Oct 2009 15:06 #329560 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Individual air cleaners?
dont bother with anything but k and n's......pricey, but worth it....as far as legal in california...CARB probably knows when you slip out a silent but deadly one....i m gonna guess no.....then again, my k and n cold air intake on my car came with a CARB exemption sticker of some sort i stuck underneath hood......
Last edit: 25 Oct 2009 15:06 by keith1.

More
25 Oct 2009 15:12 #329564 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Individual air cleaners?
You may like the look, but be sure to keep the stock airbox handy. Many folks switched back after expeiencing a variety of pod related performance issues. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Oct 2009 18:01 #329609 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Individual air cleaners?
K&Ns are the best. You will need to rejet the carbs if you use them. Sorry I cant help regarding your question about the line to the airbox as we did'nt have that emissions stuff up here in Canada.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
25 Oct 2009 18:49 #329625 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Individual air cleaners?
Personally, I prefer the Emgo pods over the K&N's. The K&N's cost a lot more and are a pain to clean and oil. The Emgos use paper and are used dry. They are disposable, but are far cheaper. They look very similar to the K&N's.

I've used K&N's for many years, but have preferred the Emgo filters for several years now.

I've also used the Uni foam filters. They were just as much of a pain as the K&N's, but disintegrated over a few years.

On two bikes, I went back to the airbox (as 650 Ed says), and I think that is still the best overall solution even though it is really a bitch to take the carbs on and off. It's much better in case you get in the rain. The filter is way cheaper and disposable. The performance is also a little better for stop and go driving, especially with a passenger, but the pods do have a slight edge at wide open throttle on the highway.

I still run pods on one bike. That bike can't take a passenger and I like the open look on the frame when using pods.

More
29 Oct 2009 19:36 #330410 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Individual air cleaners?
I found the foam UNI's to be the best middle of the road filter if you don't want to fork out $$$ for the K&N's. I beleive when I bought mine JC Whitney had the best price.

My bike runs good with them, even in crosswinds. I have also used the Emgo's and they didn't seem as good.

I also like the fact the UNI's are serviceable. Mine haven't fallen apart yet and I've had them for a few years now.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

More
29 Oct 2009 20:16 #330426 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Individual air cleaners?
Not a pod man myself but consider K&N's the best. I have K&N in ALL my vehicles. Bought the one (stock air box) in my 650 for $11.00 back in '80. Have not bought an air filter since. I live in SoCal and you can do anything you want to motorcycles as they are not subject to emmisions testing. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!