More air more power airbox mod

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
20 Oct 2009 17:28 #328636 by spudbudy
More air more power airbox mod was created by spudbudy
Well it's done following the tech article on modifying your stock airbox by member philcsand. I now have more air then I know what to do with. My biggest challenge is finding the ideal main jet size to match the huge increase of air moving thru the airbox. I have taken pictures to show exactly what I did to my stock airbox to make it much more free flowing. who needs pods this flows so much air pods don't stand a chance. I went from vm22 to vm26 carbs. the main jet has been increased from 105 to 115 and I feel is nowhere close to what is needed. in order to not get it to bog on acceleration had to block the bottom of the airbox and restrict the top down to 1 3/4 inch a mere 1/4 inch larger then stock. This is one free flowing airbox just how big can i go with the main jets? Obviously the stock head design can only flow so much air so I know it has a limit. does anyone know what a stock kz650 heads flows in cfm? going to order some main jets like 125, 130 maybe larger anybody have experience with this setup? All I know it this will be a screamer when I dial it in. Can't wait:woohoo:
s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/spudbudy/

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2009 18:22 #328653 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic More air more power airbox mod
what exactly is the airbox mod? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Oct 2009 18:25 #328657 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic More air more power airbox mod
"what exactly is the airbox mod? "

Probably punching more/bigger holes in airbox tube that holds filter in place or cutting the tube shorter. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Oct 2009 18:53 - 20 Oct 2009 18:54 #328669 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic More air more power airbox mod
Click on the photobucket link at the end of his post and you can see what he did. I think it is an excellent mod, and he should be able to get the carbs dialed in to work fabulously IF the exhaust system is not blocking things up too much.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 20 Oct 2009 18:54 by TexasKZ.

More
21 Oct 2009 06:51 #328726 by JR
Replied by JR on topic More air more power airbox mod
The photobucket link really explains the mod. Looks excellent

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
21 Oct 2009 11:56 #328765 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic More air more power airbox mod
How about the jet needle & pilot jet?

More
21 Oct 2009 12:41 #328769 by bigkaw815
Replied by bigkaw815 on topic More air more power airbox mod
Seems like a great alternative to pods. I wouldn't want to ride in the rain using pods, or in gusty wind. This would solve all that. Great idea, though you have to tear apart your original airbox :(

More
21 Oct 2009 12:54 #328774 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic More air more power airbox mod
What effect would this mod have if the VM 22 carbs were used rather than the other carbs? Perhaps if the mod was not as severe and the Jet size was increased and needle clip was lowered?

How much more air would this mod flow over a K&N high flow air filter?

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Oct 2009 14:15 - 21 Oct 2009 14:19 #328777 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic More air more power airbox mod
Well I had vm22's and with the stock airbox setup was able to run 102.5 mains, 17.5 pilots and needle clip on the fourth slot from the top. did not try the smaller carbs after doing the airbox mod. really wanted to see how much of an improvement it would be over the smaller carbs. until I get it dialed in I'm just experimenting with different main jets until I can't go any bigger. from what I have read about K&N filters the gain is about 3% more flow so at this point it doesn't make sense to pay the difference for a K&N as compared to a stock paper filter. I'm am currently running 115 mains, 17.5 pilot jets and needle clip I think is in the 4th slot from the top. I will work on those after I get the main jet dialed in.

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)
Last edit: 21 Oct 2009 14:19 by spudbudy. Reason: additional information

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Oct 2009 15:04 #329760 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic More air more power airbox mod
OK then, after with drilling some jets to test out for size. I feel I'm almost there. Right now I'm using @140 main jets still not right but getting very close. When time and weather permits again I will try and drill out the jets to 150 and see if thats all I can get outta this setup. My thinking is 150 will be too much but who knows I still have the bottom of the airbox closed off. This is just running with the top cut open to 2 1/4 inches. I still have a slight hesitation and bog at WOT but nothing like I had with the smaller jets. My best guess right now is going to be 142.5/145/147.5. Not too shabby for what amounts to essentially a free mod. I will keep you posted on what I end up with.:woohoo: